jayowens

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
I'm building a new system from the ground up. I got an ASUS M2V mobo and because it supported SATA II (3Gb/s), I got got a matching hard drive. I was reading the manual for the mobo though and it says that I can't have an OS installed on the SATA II location.

The mobo has the SATA's broken into two sections:
7-pin SATA1 and SATA2 VIA VT8237A southbridge (150MB/s)
and
Serial ATA I/II and External SATA Marvell 88SE6121 (3.0Gb/s)

The exact wording (under the Marvell 88SE6121 heading):Do not install the operating system with the device connected to the Marvell 88SE6121 Serial ATA connector.

I'm bummed that I can't apprently use my HardDrive to its fullest. Am I not understanding something here? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

-Justin

pat

Expert
I'm bummed that I can't apprently use my HardDrive to its fullest. Am I not understanding something here? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

-Justin

Yeah.. hotswapping is a really useful feature for an OS drive.. As well as NCQ is really useful for desktop operation..

You'll really make these 2 feature that make SATA2 because performance wise, there is no difference..

chifan

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
Why Don't you choose Asus M2N-E?(nForce 570 Ultra)?
M2N-E has sia SATA2 Ports.
M2N-E 's price is nearly the same as the M2V Motherboard

moulin1

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2007
A definitive answer for you and everyone else who like me bought a motherboard that supported a 300mb/s hd and then found out they couldnt use it for the most critical app, the OS.

Do a dual boot OS. I used DOS/W2K. First get the marvell sata driver and install on floppy. Next install dos or w98 on C drive (I installed dos 6.22 from floppy on C, an ordinary ide 133). Then insert windows install cd. During boot press f6 to install the Marvell driver from floppy (or windows will not see your fast sata). The install will detect an installed os and prompt "overwrite or install somewhere else" (I paraphrase). Select elsewhere and browse to your marvell sata. After install you will find the windows boot files (including the marvell driver!) installed on your slow C drive while the rest of windows resides on the lightning fast marvell sata. It works fine and it only took me a day and a half of fiddling.

Note: I used dos but w98 should work fine for c as well. I used 2000, XP and vista should work also. Maybe linux as well.

Note: The dual OS is easy so you can just wing it. If you need instructions just search "dual boot" on support.microsoft.com. Don't try a triple OS. It took me a month and a half and permanently broke a month later.

Warning: Any changes in hardware config will leave both os and bios lost. You will get a mesage "missing or damaged ntoskernel". This means your windows drive letter has changed and boot can't find it. Don't panic windows is fine. You just need to edit the boot.ini (fortunately you have dos or w98 still running on C). Just guess at drive number unitl you find the right one (also search support.microsoft.com for boot.ini details).

Warning: For no reason at all you may lose the windows drive letter to an external device. I have to remember to turn off my external usb drive before booting.