m390n. Please read. Need help desperately.

Funny story. I bought a computer from an online retailer. Really nice 3.0
pent 4. 150 gig hd. dvd rw. thx cert. sound. etc etc. Wait two weeks
no computer. Get an email saying oppps sorry sold out. But for your
trouble we've got another even better one we'll send you. It's a
"debranded" comp. with better specs. The only problem is that it has no
operating system. I think no prob I've got xp pro. I'll load it up and
I'm off and running. At the time I had no idea what "debranded" meant.
What it meant is a superfast computer that can't do anything. No sound,
no video, sigh. Not being computer illiterate i checked the drivers. Try
to search the net for the drivers nothing. So after about 8 hours of
google type research. I've come to these facts. I own a hp model m390n
computer. It has a p4sd-la motherboard. which is oem(a new term i've
learned) so i can't get anything from the manufacturer. I need these six
drivers.

multimedia audio controller (downloading realtek ac97 now..fingers
crossed)

multimedia controller???
multimedia video controller???
sm bus controller???
usb controller???
video controller???

I through myself to your mercy. I'm stuck, frustrated, and honestly have
not the know how on where to aquire these. any help would be most
appreciated.

aaron

craigm

Distinguished
May 12, 2004

The P4SD-LA card is in many Pavilions. You can search the HP website, find
another PC using that board and download its drivers.

For example, this page has a full set of drivers.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?dlc=en&lc=en&product=371643&lang=en&cc=us&os=228

Scoll down for the original drivers.

craigm

"aaronkilljoy" <aaron_of_ktown@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Funny story. I bought a computer from an online retailer. Really nice
3.0
> pent 4. 150 gig hd. dvd rw. thx cert. sound. etc etc. Wait two weeks
> no computer. Get an email saying oppps sorry sold out. But for your
> trouble we've got another even better one we'll send you. It's a
> "debranded" comp. with better specs. The only problem is that it has no
> operating system. I think no prob I've got xp pro. I'll load it up and
> I'm off and running. At the time I had no idea what "debranded" meant.
> What it meant is a superfast computer that can't do anything. No sound,
> no video, sigh. Not being computer illiterate i checked the drivers. Try
> to search the net for the drivers nothing. So after about 8 hours of
> google type research. I've come to these facts. I own a hp model m390n
> computer. It has a p4sd-la motherboard. which is oem(a new term i've
> learned) so i can't get anything from the manufacturer. I need these six
> drivers.
>
> multimedia audio controller (downloading realtek ac97 now..fingers
> crossed)
>
> multimedia controller???
> multimedia video controller???
> sm bus controller???
> usb controller???
> video controller???
>
> I through myself to your mercy. I'm stuck, frustrated, and honestly have
> not the know how on where to aquire these. any help would be most
> appreciated.
>
> aaron

gasman

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2004

Go get something like Belarc Advisor or Aida32 to tell you exactly
what hardware you have installed. Then try the hp site for the drivers
for those items. Google for those 2 programs above or if anyone know
of ant better ones, they'll chip and go get those

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 06:18:24 -0500, "aaronkilljoy"
<aaron_of_ktown@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Funny story. I bought a computer from an online retailer. Really nice 3.0
>pent 4. 150 gig hd. dvd rw. thx cert. sound. etc etc. Wait two weeks
>no computer. Get an email saying oppps sorry sold out. But for your
>trouble we've got another even better one we'll send you. It's a
>"debranded" comp. with better specs. The only problem is that it has no
>operating system. I think no prob I've got xp pro. I'll load it up and
>I'm off and running. At the time I had no idea what "debranded" meant.
>What it meant is a superfast computer that can't do anything. No sound,
>no video, sigh. Not being computer illiterate i checked the drivers. Try
>to search the net for the drivers nothing. So after about 8 hours of
>google type research. I've come to these facts. I own a hp model m390n
>computer. It has a p4sd-la motherboard. which is oem(a new term i've
>learned) so i can't get anything from the manufacturer. I need these six
>drivers.
>
>multimedia audio controller (downloading realtek ac97 now..fingers
>crossed)
>
>multimedia controller???
>multimedia video controller???
>sm bus controller???
>usb controller???
>video controller???
>
>I through myself to your mercy. I'm stuck, frustrated, and honestly have
>not the know how on where to aquire these. any help would be most
>appreciated.
>
>aaron

Please remove obvious from email address if emailing.

Did the on-line retailer advertise the original with an operating system?

How much better were the specs of the so-called "debranded" system?

Did the on-line retailer tell you in advance that you would receive a computer
without operating system?

"Debranded" is certainly a word that obfuscates what the retailer intended to
deliver. It is so damned obscure that I'd bet that for every 100 people asked
to define what it meant, you'd get maybe 50 different definitions.

I think you got nailed by a bait-and-switch scheme. Depending on your responses
to the above questions, you may have good cause to raise hell with the BBB or
Dept of Consumer Affairs in the state where the retailer does business.

If the drivers on HP web site URL shown in another response does get the system
100% A-OK it for you, run AIDA-32, take note of the chipsets it identifies, and
go to the web sites of the CHIPSET manufacturers to download what you need. It
would actually be nice for a change to download useful drivers from the HP web
site. In the past, HP has used motherboards with either an Intel motherboard
chipset (most of the time) or a VIA chipset. Both chipset manufacturers do an
excellent job of providing drivers for their chipsets.

Make sure you install any motherboard chipset drivers before installing any
other drivers. Often, if you install, say, sound or USB drivers before the
motherboard drivers, the drivers do not work right. In other words, all other
chipset drivers are dependent on the proper operation of the motherboard chipset
for 100% correct system operation... Ben Myers