Question M4 Deco auto change causes speed problems ?

qboIodp

Commendable
Jan 25, 2022
I recently bought the Deco M4 (V2) 2-Pack, I'm using them as a router and I set it up using custom cat5e cables and backhaul. I am paying for 100/10 internet and I am reaching the advertised speeds over both ethernet and wifi. But. When I move close to the second deco and the change occurs, I do a speedtest and it is only 30/10. If I turn on and off the wifi on my phone it goes to normal (100/10). If I go close to the other one and it automatically connects again, it goes 30/10. What is happening. I have also tested it with ethernet and it is always 100/10 even when on the phone it is 30. I use multiple speedtests, including the tp link app "Wifi Toolkit".What is happening? Is it the phone?

I guess it is "good?" that it is smart enough to connect the closest unit. That tends to be a problem for many people running mesh garbage that it doesn't switch. It is the phone that decided to switch not the network.

If I understand it correctly you have a ethernet cable between the 2 deco units. Does the remote deco unit have a second ethernet port. This is mostly that you can test that the connection to the main router is working properly via ethernet.

It is acting like you are connecting to the main router via wifi from the remote deco even though it has a ethernet. It would then run in repeater mode and you would get a drop in speed because of the 2 wifi hops in the path. Does the unit have the ability to run in AP mode and not in repeater/mesh mode. I know little about the detail of mesh systems I always use AP.

Are you sure you even need the second unit. If you turn it off and then test the speed with your phone standing by the remote unit how fast does it run.

The only other thing I can think of is the phone is sometime selecting 2.4 and 5 as it changes. 2.4g is going to be a lot slower in most cases. Try to use 2 different SSID names for the 2 radio bands so you can control what your phone is talking to. Again I don't know what a mesh system allows but I would hope you can use 2 different names.

qboIodp

Commendable
Jan 25, 2022
I guess it is "good?" that it is smart enough to connect the closest unit. That tends to be a problem for many people running mesh garbage that it doesn't switch. It is the phone that decided to switch not the network.

If I understand it correctly you have a ethernet cable between the 2 deco units. Does the remote deco unit have a second ethernet port. This is mostly that you can test that the connection to the main router is working properly via ethernet.

It is acting like you are connecting to the main router via wifi from the remote deco even though it has a ethernet. It would then run in repeater mode and you would get a drop in speed because of the 2 wifi hops in the path. Does the unit have the ability to run in AP mode and not in repeater/mesh mode. I know little about the detail of mesh systems I always use AP.

Are you sure you even need the second unit. If you turn it off and then test the speed with your phone standing by the remote unit how fast does it run.

The only other thing I can think of is the phone is sometime selecting 2.4 and 5 as it changes. 2.4g is going to be a lot slower in most cases. Try to use 2 different SSID names for the 2 radio bands so you can control what your phone is talking to. Again I don't know what a mesh system allows but I would hope you can use 2 different names.
Thanks for your reply. That's how I have set it up, as two seperate bands (5ghz on one ssid and 2.4ghz on another ssid). I am only connecting to the 5GHz and I haven't even connected my phone to the 2.4GHz. I'll try to find what is causing it by testing different cables etc I guess lol

TRENDING THREADS