Question M4A785TD-V Based System fails (not new)

jeffreyropp

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
My old M4A785TD-V based system suddenly failed to boot yesterday.
I’ve tried following several guides and the issue seems to be memory related.
I’ve tried DIMMs in every installation combination and individually in each memory slot without success.

With all DIMMs I get no beeps Any other combination, I get 2 fast beeps so with AMI this indicates memory parity error.

Is my problem the memory or did my motherboard finally die?

thank you very much for the thoughts!

Lutfij

Titan
To rule out the motherboard being faulty or failing, take the sticks of ram to a donor system and see if they work there. If they do, then issue is with the slots on your motherboard. If the rams also show up with an error/issue on your donor system, then the slots are fine, the rams are the issue. Mind sharing the entire build's specs with us? Age of the PSU as well? Swollen capacitors on the board?

jeffreyropp

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
@Lutfij - Thank you VERY much for taking the time to read and reply.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1045T
GPU: Nvidia GeForce 8400 GS
SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 500GB
HDD: WD Red 2TB
RAM: G.SKILL F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ (4x2GB)
MBD: Asus M4A785TD-V EVO
PSU: Corsair TX650W (11 years old)

Unfortunately I don't have a similar system to check the RAM or swap out the PSU. I suppose I could buy some RAM on eBay and check to see if that works.

Not sure how to assess for swollen capacitors. I will add a picture hoping that helps. CPU, case and PSU fans seem to be running normally.

Board seems to detect keyboard and mouse as I have them shared on a USB switch with another system.

Only thing I can think of that's new is letting my son play Minecraft for an hour!

Thank you again!

Last edited: