[SOLVED] M5A78L M LX Plus hates my 960

Insane Potatoz

Reputable
Sep 22, 2019
Hey guys, i have kind of a weird problem here i was hoping someone knew about.
I have an Asus M5A78L M LX Plus + FX-6100 and it doesnt want to work with my GTX 960 2gb. I've tested just about everything else to see if its my motherboard, CPU, ram, PSU, etc. I got help from someone on discord and apparently this motherboard has had problems for other people with nvidia GPUs. Any idea of how i can get it to work with my asus strix 960 2gb?
I've updated bios to the latest i could find, installed chipset drivers etc.
I can get into windows just find, but after some time (3-30 minutes) it'll black screen, then restart, and go into windows recovery. This doesnt happen when i tried to use my RX 570.

Thanks! :)

Solution
Download msi afterburner or similar program and reset the gpu to default, even if it is already and apply. Try again. Failing that... Download latest nvidia driver. Turn internet off. Use ddu to uninstall the driver in safe mode and then install the latest drivers.
Jul 30, 2020
Hi Insane Potato lol,

Are you able to test the GPU on another machine? That motherboard should not have a problem with the GPU. It does sound as though the GPU is on its last legs... Also what PSU are you using?

Insane Potatoz

Reputable
Sep 22, 2019
Hi Insane Potato lol,

Are you able to test the GPU on another machine? That motherboard should not have a problem with the GPU. It does sound as though the GPU is on its last legs... Also what PSU are you using?
Yep. tested GPU with an i3-2120 system. worked perfectly.
For testing i've been using an EVGA 500 W1, but in the actual system an EVGA 450 BR.

Jul 30, 2020
Is anything overclocked in the system? If so try reset the bios to default and try again. This is definitely a strange one... I would have said check PSU too but you have tried with 2 so it can not be.

Jul 30, 2020
Download msi afterburner or similar program and reset the gpu to default, even if it is already and apply. Try again. Failing that... Download latest nvidia driver. Turn internet off. Use ddu to uninstall the driver in safe mode and then install the latest drivers.

Solution

Insane Potatoz

Reputable
Sep 22, 2019
I just tested it in a different system again. It happened again.
So it’s gotta just be the GPU. Can’t believe it took me so long to figure that out.
Always worth it to double check I guess.
I’ll mark you as best answer for helping :)

Reactions: JetSetter84

TRENDING THREADS