[SOLVED] M5A78L-M LX3 USB Overcurrent Issue?

Jan 5, 2020
Hey All,

I'll try to explain this the best I can:

I had an old custom pc that broke a few years back and decided to revive it. The problem back then was the pc died and wouldn't post anything on screen. I figured out, through trial and error, the motherboard was the culprit and got a new motherboard for the pc. I installed the new motherboard and got the thing to post to screen only to face a wall of text, with the final lines saying a "USB Overcurrent deteched, shutdown in 15 seconds." Close to what it said anyway.

This is where I googled a ton of solutions and tried all sorts:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Checked Front USB ports!

Disconnected front USB ports from motherboard!

Cleared CMOS!

Updated to the latest firmware on BIOS!

Checked the USB ports on the back of the motherboard!

Tried peripherals in each of the USB ports! All USBs work!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have no idea what to do next. I thinking it might be a bad motherboard itself, but I could be wrong.

Any suggestions please help!

Thank you.

Solution
Have you checked if you are missing the blue plastic clip onto the motherboard?
Its usually beneath the GPU at bottom of motherboard.
It says 5V and 5VSB.
When that piece is missing it gives you that issue, happened to me, its usual thing with Asus budget boards.

o0-HNzb6a-MDvu678m-500.jpg
It says 5V and 5VSB.
When that piece is missing it gives you that issue, happened to me, its usual thing with Asus budget boards.

Solution
Jan 5, 2020
It says 5V and 5VSB.

I checked the board just now. I assume there's supposed to be 4 blue nubs?! I counted 3 on mine. I have one missing. If that's the case, this whole issue was over one tiny blue FREAKING nub!!

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Migth well be,those are jumper caps and each should be in place. Just look at some old motherboard,probably some left on that. Don't have to be blue.

Do make sure you put it on the right pins.

Kzn4xhe.jpg

you see i've got alot of experience with paint,but hope you can make out what is said.

Last edited: