Question M5A78L-M/USB3 chassis open error

Dec 30, 2019
hello i had a chassis open error on the above motherboard and cleared it by removing the battery and switching the jumper around to clear the cmos. now it says time and date error but i can boot into the bios but after a few seconds it goes blank and i lose my display before i can make any changes. same with trying to boot to windows, it comes on then goes of after 20 seconds or so. any help would be appreciated. thanks in advance.

Dec 30, 2019
Did you replace the jumper cap to its original position? How long did you have the cmos battery out, how long did you short the jumper and did you unplug the pc from the wall when you did these steps?

yeah jumper back in right place. first time 20 - 30 seconds. then tried a couple of times at around 5 mins or so. the fault on the boot screen changed from chassis warning to time and date not set so i assumed the cmos was cleared??? and unplugged from power supply every time.

yeah jumper back in right place. first time 20 - 30 seconds. then tried a couple of times at around 5 mins or so. the fault on the boot screen changed from chassis warning to time and date not set so i assumed the cmos was cleared??? and unplugged from power supply every time.
OK so try removing the cmos battery for 15 mins with computer unplugged. Don't use the jumper. Then replace the cmos battery and try to start up and get in to bios hitting your delete key (or your default key you use)

Reactions: taffkarl
Dec 30, 2019
hello.

right left battery out for a couple of hours still no difference. plugged internet in and time and date seem to be set now but still same problem. starting up, getting post beep then going off quicker than before now before anything gets a chance to load up. if i click delete i can access the bios for a few seconds tops before the screen goes blank again. the pc isnt shutting down by the looks of it, all the fans are still running as normal so really frustrated now............

Ok so check the outside and especially inside the computer. See if you can find a door open, metal bent around doors etc, inside see if you can see any part of the motherboard touching any metal part of the casing, or metal on the motherboard touching any metal. What you are looking for is a shorting out of motherboard touching metal.

Dec 30, 2019
sorry to have taken so long to reply back. the replies are most appreciated.

ive taken the whole pc apart and put it back again and im fairly confident its done correctly. ive tried every bit of software i can lay my hands on trying to see if i can fix anything that may be wrong but no luck with any of them. tried different ram, graphics card and monitor. havent got a spare power supply but i think thats ok anyway.

ive noticed before it goes off it starts dimming a bit and flickers slightly so i think its possibly a motherboard component breaking down somehow but thats a pure guess at this moment. probably gonna get another motherboard but if anyone reads this and have any fresh ideas please feel free to share.