M5A99X Evo R2 RAM underclocking?

RykerrK

Reputable
Jun 25, 2015
PROBLEM: CPU-Z reporting DRAM Frequency @722.5Mhz instead of 933Mhz

Picked up a 2-channel kit from Fry's yesterday; 2x Corsair Vengeance DDR3 (CPU-Z ID: CMY16GX3M2A1866C9 SPD Ext. XMP 1.3) that should be running at 1833Mhz. Ignoring and bypassing the absolute nightmare it was to actually get it to post, BIOS was reporting the combined MHz at under 900Mhz which I would have thought impossible, but it recognized they were set up in Dual-Channel, so I ran the OC Tuner in Advanced and it got the modules up to 1439Mhz (and also inadvertently knocked my AMD FX 6100 up to 3.6Ghz, but that's neither here nor there).

So I guess my question is, what else am I missing? I don't see any obvious way to adjust XMPs in BIOS to just run them at their rated speeds, so why is the motherboard downclocking the frequencies? Is there an easy option somewhere to get these up to speed I'm missing, or do I need to change settings manually? Obviously this is as high as the "OC Tuner" wants the RAM to go, but since the board and RAM are both rated for higher frequencies, I'm confused as to why I can't achieve stock settings.

CMY16GX3M2A1866C9 has a (Serial Presence Detect) SPD Speed of 1333MHz.

SPD is a memory hardware feature that makes it possible for the computer to know what memory is present, and what timings to use to access the memory. Your memory is operating normally.

DOCP often overclocks things other than just the memory. You can set the Ai Overclock Tuner to manual and manually set the memory clock to 1866MHz. Then set the DRAM Timings to 9-10-9-27 beginning with Cas Latency.

You are mistaken to think you can just pop them in and they will run at there rated specifications. They run at SPD specifications not their rated specifications.