Question M5A99X Evo Ver 1.01 - Windows 10 Upgrade froze - System will not Load Win 10 or Win 7 from USB or CD

Apr 4, 2020
Hi first Post new here.

I went to upgrade to Windows 10 and used the 'Online' method rather than the USB Stick, the update froze at 17% and I had to hit Restart...so long excellent working Windows 7 Pro x64!

My BIOS does not have EFI (as I was told). Meaning this system will not load the USB Media Creation Tool as a whole or using Rufus: Nor will it read my licenced Win 7 Pro x64 disc during boot.

I managed to learn how to flash my BIOS after many attempts with the original version, but that did not help in any way.

My system BIOS is EUFI and has limits and there is no 'Secure' feature other than a password, which I do not use anyway.

When I put the Motherboard Disk in that came with the MoBo, it gets me to FreeDOS, from there I am not certain what to do other than type: dir!!! and cd!!! Not the best at DOS but know how it works.

I tried NTFS formats on my hard drive and FAT32 ( just trying anything). Nothing works - someone on Facebook is saying that my system is stuck in GPT and I need to get MBR back? I even emailed and spoke to Asus and it takes a day for each trial and error to try. I am not confident in them as they pass me on to someone new each time, so I have to explain the issue over again...

My system is:

MoBo: M5A99X Evo Ver. 1.01 (not 2)

RAM: 16 GB Total - Corsair 1600 Mhz [cmz16gx3m4a1600c9] - Clock set to 9-9-9-24 /1333Mhz - ddr 3 (set to 1333 Mhz on the board) 4 gig sticks

CPU: Asus Phenom II 1055T 6 Core 2.8 Ghz (3.25 Ghz Turbo)

GPU: Asus brand - ATI Raedon HD 4600 (512 MB) (1440x900x59 Hz) 98CDAC222249 - B866PI Rev 1.0

HDD: Seagate Barracuda - 500 GB - ST500DM002 - Firmware: KC44 (This is new old stock)

CD-ROM: TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-222AL ATA Device

BIOS: American Megatrends Old version 0813 - Newest version is now 1708 (the latest and final one they have at Asus)

Note: I built this system in Feb. 2012 - changed the Battery and started to use it intermittently and was going to use it to run Ableton Live 10 Lite, I figured I might as well finally upgrade to Windows 10, and I messed up by upgrading at the MS website's "Online" method rather than the "Media Tool Method"...now my system boots and I can make changes, but it will not Boot from USB (Legacy turned on, Secure mode does not exist, and drive set to IDE manual calls for it when wanting to load a Windows disk via CD-ROM on Port 5 and/or 6 which is the 3.0 SATA, I have 6 others that are 6.0 but the manual wants the CD-ROM and HDD to be used in the Black 3.0 ports). I have tried Auto as well and it will not keep loading both methods of trying to load Windows 10 via USB and Windows 7 Pro x64 via CD-ROM, both stop right when the 'Dots" start to swirl!

This system is older but consider it brand new - old stock if you will. I never used it until 6 mos ago and even then barely, it was more a backup system. Again, the Windows 10 upgrade botched it in someway that it will not load any System disk to reinstall and I have the Windows 7 Pro x64 - maybe this board it not compatible with Windows 10?

I would appreciate any info on getting the MoBo to allow a boot disk to re-install either Win 10 or back to my Win 7 Pro 64.

Not sure to format my USB via FAT32 and put Rufus on or NTFS, I actually think I did both, with the Media Creation Tool. I even just used the Media Creation Tool straight from the USB not as a .iso. All did not work! Tough one!

Please help!

Take care,

Richard

Apr 4, 2020
The Windows Media Creator USB is not exclusive to UEFI, it also works with MBR/legacy systems. Set your BIOS to default, use the Windows media creator to make a USB installer and try again. https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

The BIOS is a EUFI and only has advanced which is somewhat vague...there is no Secure though as I do not have a password installed for Admin or User levels.

How many pictures can we post on one reply, I took some of my BIOS.

Asus just wrote back stating to try my keyboard in another USB, well they did not read my issue, I do not have an USB Keyboard, just a wireless mouse - because I was getting BSOD with 9C, but that might be because I do not have my HDD plugged in as I was just trying to figure out how to get int o SAFE MODE, I got there somehow one time or two times, but the only one by using the MoBo disk allows for FreeDOS.

I am trying to download for the 4th time the MCTool and it just sits at 100% and does not seem to finish, I was going to try the Rufus method once again, but there are a few choices within Rufus that I may be making a mistake on, like formatting my USB 16 GB Kingston stick in FAT32 then 'mounting' (is it called) the MCTool?

I did the NSFT method of format and loading the MCTool and my computer will just hang trying to load windows 10, same when I try the disk for Windows 7 Pro...

I wonder with the whole world online due to our issues we face that the servers are bogging down in my area, thus, why the MCTool just says there at 100%!!

This BIOS I cannot make into a old DOS looking one, and I managed to figure out how to flash it to the 1708 (latest for this board).

Let me know what photos would be beneficial - I am new but can do stuff, I just need a bit more details on stuff when told.

Again, this may be 8 years old, but it is brand new...New Old stock, hate to throw it out and MoBo are expensive for this CPU and RAM! Thus, stuck in a hard place!!!!

Thanks for any further assistance - PS, the Windows 7 Pro x64 managed to break free a bit long as the Logo stayed 'breathing' as it does it's animation thing! But, it just hung up!

There is also an option to do some EFI but it says there are no files...

Apr 4, 2020
The Windows Media Creator USB is not exclusive to UEFI, it also works with MBR/legacy systems. Set your BIOS to default, use the Windows media creator to make a USB installer and try again. https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

In my initial post, I mentioned I used the online method and it hung up at 17%, when I think I should of used the USB method (I did not know - I just saw the two options) - now the system as some are suggesting might be stuck in GPT? And that we need to get it to do MBR or Legacy?

That part the only thing I get is the use of drives 2.2 GB and up GPT.

I have two HDD SATA cable style Seagate Barracuda and Western Digital Caviar Blue. The Seagate is new old stock...built the system for fun and it ran excellent - go to the might Masters of Disaster MS and thank you Irene - my system is not crap and this old man has been out of the game for almost a decade only to come back and say WTF is this Sh!^! LOL

Apr 4, 2020
LOL Okay, except that; place the USB first in the boot order.
Sorry biker - just frustrated - 5 long days and nights pretty much stumped. But yeah, whatever when I had to hit reset after that 17% upgrade hang up happened. This system would not continue to load either OS, they both stop.

Maybe I am formatting the HDD's (500 GB) wrong in Disk Management on my other Windows 7 Home Premium x32 computer (Desktop)?

I know that checking them with the Tools is not the best way to see, but the Seagate is new - Old stock and the WDD I bought from a tech who tested it and such...

I would format and give them a label but not a Drive Letter.

All memory, CPU, GPU, Battery new, Cmos jumped - several times (15 now) various endless trial and errors...

Cannot remember how to get into SAFE MODE, F8 for this is taking to the EUFI BIOS, F5 wants to load (faster speed default).

I got the mem speed to ddr3 - 1333, the chips say 1600 Mhz and Ai Tweaker is set to Auto again, If i set on manual I change the speed myself to 1333 Mhz.

I bought the parts from NCIX - now shut down due to I.D. breach - selling of company hardware that had person SIN #'s!!!

You really need to create a Windows 10 USB installer (if you are going to install Windows 10, using the Windows Media Creator. If for some reason it is not working, you need to try another USB, another port, or even another computer. If you want to install Windows 7 and are using a USB, make sure you use a USB2 port, as Windows 7 does not natively support USB3. This can even be a problem with Windows 10 on older Mother Boards, so I would try a USB2 port. If you are installing Windows 10 for a UEFI system, you will need to partition the hdd GPT and the install media with do the partitioning and formatting. No need for you to do anything in disk manager.

You also might want to read the manual as it will give advice on how to install Windows. https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P5QPLAM/HelpDesk_Manual/

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2020
You really need to create a Windows 10 USB installer (if you are going to install Windows 10, using the Windows Media Creator. If for some reason it is not working, you need to try another USB, another port, or even another computer. If you want to install Windows 7 and are using a USB, make sure you use a USB2 port, as Windows 7 does not natively support USB3. This can even be a problem with Windows 10 on older Mother Boards, so I would try a USB2 port. If you are installing Windows 10 for a UEFI system, you will need to partition the hdd GPT and the install media with do the partitioning and formatting. No need for you to do anything in disk manager.

You also might want to read the manual as it will give advice on how to install Windows. https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P5QPLAM/HelpDesk_Manual/
Oh wow, no wonder perhaps I was having that. But I hope all my ports are not 3.0 LOL.

The place I bought all this stuff from I think they loaded Windows 7 for me maybe why I am not recalling how to fix!

Thank you kindly for your help...I need it!

I just finished downloading the MCTool NTFS and I will learn where to format my HDD as a GPT...would my Windows 7 x32 Home Premium do that in Disk Management. I have a Windows 10 laptop that I am using to write this, but there is no way to cable in a HDD from a USB is there - to format using this machine?

I have enough room to get the HDD plugged in on the x32 desktop so I will find out how to GPT the crap out of this HDD! LOL Thank you!!!

First keep in mind the Windows 32 bit will not boot in a UEFI system and will not install on a GPT partitioning. If that is what you are trying, that is why it is not working. You have to set up 32 bit windows MBR and legacy/CSM booting.

Assuming you are installing 64 bit Windows, again, don't worry about Disk Management, at least with Windows 10, just make sure the BIOS is set to UEFI boot.. When you use the USB installer, it will ask you whether to partition the target drive in GPT or MBR. (I think that is also true for Windows 7). Simply run the installation USB, chose Custom, chose to delete the old partitions repartition the drive.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2020
First keep in mind the Windows 32 bit will not boot in a UEFI system and will not install on a GPT partitioning. If that is what you are trying, that is why it is not working. You have to set up 32 bit windows MBR and legacy/CSM booting.

Assuming you are installing 64 bit Windows, again, don't worry about Disk Management, at least with Windows 10, just make sure the BIOS is set to UEFI boot.. When you use the USB installer, it will ask you whether to partition the target drive in GPT or MBR. (I think that is also true for Windows 7). Simply run the installation USB, chose Custom, chose to delete the old partitions repartition the drive.

Hi. The manual you sent was the wrong one. I read the manual and it says to make sure that the HDD and CD ROM are in the 3.0 G/s SATA ports and to set the HDD to IDE 'IF' you are installing an OS!

I am trying to install this on my or was x64 system M5A99X Evo Ver. 1.01 (not ver. 2.0) I am not sure why I was sent a who different board manual unless there is a step in there that you are thinking might work?

Well I just tried using the MCTool straight USB, no .iso, no Rufus, BIOS set to EUFI, and using a Kingston G3 Datatraveler USB that is 2.0 and injected into a 2.0 USB there are lots and the 3.0 USB's are blue to help my tired eyes.

There is no way I can get to or do this GPT to MBR on this system. The HDD Seagate Barracuda I am using is a 500 GB formatted with Disk Management (I am now doing the more thorough error check rather than the quick check just to see but again this is a new old stock system...

I do not know how to get this GPT system to read the 2.0 USB ports or I mean load the Media Creation Tool I keep trying over and over (takes about an hour each time). I would make sure the 1st boot is a USB and it reads it - shows the Blue Windows icon for Windows 10, then the thing hangs.

I would not be putting on Windows 7 Pro x64 via USB, I have the Disk with code I bought it back in the day.

I am not sure how to get into Safe Mode if that is what I need. But, nothing gets read at all, not the HDD, not the USB 2.0 stick.

I was hoping to put files on the HDD from my x32 Windows system by loading the Windows 7 Pro x64 Disk but I am afraid it will try to install on my working desktop and mess it up!!!!

It is going through the error check (20 minutes now).

Here is the correct manual:

I have:
Ai Tweaker on Manual and the RAM speed at DDR3 - 1333 Mhz
CD ROM to boot the Kingston EUFI USB Stick 1st
SATA Port 5/6 set to IDE (instead of AHCI - see pg/section - 3-16 [But I think this might be for windows 7 as Windows 10 was not around in 2012], so that may be where I can try again setting back to AHCI (but I have had it there before)!

This BIOS is not as good as others for getting things switched from GPT to MBR or MBR to GPT - this area is actually new to me and I need steps that would help educate me on why the input devices are not fully installing either Win 7 Pro or Win 10 using the MCTool!

Apr 4, 2020
Well heck I lost my detailed message by trying to cut and paste a photo - no go on that!

I reset CMOS after I tried to install Win 7 I give up on Win 10 just in case this board is not compatible as one Asus rep said on a forum back in 2011!

When the BSOD came up with IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL I hit Reset Button, Then

A Black DOS screen came on that said Windows Memory Diagnostics at the Bottom and the Top I forget my stupid photo did not show the writing, then, another Black DOS screen comes up after I selected F8, that allows to just start windows normally or in safe mode. I am not experienced on what to do here and would hate to lose this as it is rare to get to the SAFE MODE screen!! I will try to do safe mode? Oh boy! Like doing a 2500 piece puzzle now! LOL

Again tons of thanks here -

I ordered a laptop Asus as back up but if I can fix this machine I would send it back to save money!

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/produc...-3500u-512gb-ssd-12gb-ram-windows-10/13974641

Now they got a bunch in at Best Buy and more choices too they have an intel chip one for the same price and the reviews say the Rysen or the Raedon graphics beat the i5, but I just want to run Ableton Lite 10 Live.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/produc...10210u-512gb-ssd-12gb-ram-windows-10/13974642

Apr 4, 2020
Yikes!!

I chose SAFE MODE and it froze after a bunch of files loading or scrolling up!

This happened to me before but getting to this screen I do not know how I get there!

I will press reset and enter BIOS and just for the sake of it clear the CMOS first then just boot it?

I cannot get a OS on this HDD the machine keeps blocking me from running the USB and CD ROM with the Windows 7 Pro x64 disk OEM/builder edition?? Got the key code and I even made an .iso of it too found some site.

But Rufus, that program is tough to figure out how to 'mount' the windows.iso and get the USB to be read by this machine! It failed too and I tried FAT32 I think as someone said I need to put the USB as a FAT32 format? I though NTFS was Windows 7 and 10?

I will keep at it - thanks!

Apr 4, 2020
Arr!

Might have to omit the last BSOD - I had the jumper pin just on pin 1 instead of 1 and 2! Old getting old!

Nothing is working at all
Ai Tweaker on Manual RAM set to 1333
SATA Port 5/6 to IDE as per manual for loading OS
CD boot first then HDD

Windows 7 and 10 just hang, nothing wants to load up from USB Media Creation Tool nor the OEM Windows 7 Pro 64 Disk.

CMOS reset/battery out for 2 minutes

Even plugged in the CAT 5/6 cable to see if the internet would help miracle this machines a$$ to work but nope!

All components are new and fine, UBS, HDD, cables, PSU, CPU, GPU, RAM, my mumma...

And to buy a AM3+ board is more now than it was back then it seems! Again, I would rather fix.

What about that Fix Me Stick thing?

Rufus method - is so, and went for Windows 7 Pro 64 (I made the .iso of my disk). But, putting it in different 2.0 USB ports does nothing, it hangs the MCTool for Windows 10 (not using the .iso file method, just straight file from USB - I attempted both methods for Windows 10.

What the hell does Microsoft do when it fails to finish it's job (as usually for 25 years I bought and used computers).

Is this just all BIOS? I downloaded 1708 and have it in there, it was 0813 when I put this together in 2012!

I think NCIX put Windows on for me or they walked me through it and I do not have a record of what the parameters are, just the ddr3-1333 Mhz setting on manual.

There is a 'Force BIOS' or 'Keep Changes' option I tried both ways. Everything I do, I take the battery out, turn off computer (sometimes I do not to try anything), CMOS jumped.

HDD's both are healthy, I swap them out, to make sure one was not bad after I try different combo's like KFC Chicken joint!

Till tomorrow!!