Ma785gmt: no option to boot from USB flash drive

ptcali

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010
Hi,

I have a Gigabyte MA785GMT-UD2H motherboard, and I want to boot it from a USB flash drive. I tried a google search, and the only thing that came up was to make sure that Legacy USB support was enabled, which it is. In boot priority, I have options for USB-FDD, USB-HD, and USB-ZIP, but no USB flash drive. I tried those too, anyway, and as expected that didn't work.

After hitting F12 and looking at the available hard drives, the flash drive doesn't show up there either.

My laptop has no optical drive, so I can't burn a CD. The desktop, that I'm trying to boot up, currently has a broken Ubuntu on it and doesn't boot. So I have no option besides flash drive. The bootable drive was created using LiveUSB creator on WIndows, as indicated in the fedora installation guide. The laptop can boot from it, so it's not a problem with the drive.

Any ideas? Or do I just need to spend $10 for a fedora DVD? Thanks for your help.

Solution
The USB-HD selection is the one you need - your drive, I believe, must be FAT32 formatted, and "USB storage Function" in the BIOS must be enabled...
You can boot from the hardrive software if your desktop has a cd or dvd. With the software, you can format and configure your hardrive as the boot or secondary device. Then make a drive to drive copy if needed. I use maxblast for maxtor and seagate drives, but other brands have similar software. If you have any old boxes from your hardrives, check them for the software.

jedimasterben

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2007

Do you have access to another flash drive? I'd try another one just to make sure.

What? I don't understand!

ptcali

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010

I'll try with another flash drive, but I doubt that's the problem. There has to be some way around this: I can't believe that the motherboard has no way to boot from USB flash.

About the second part, I didn't really understand his post either. If I could get the desktop to turn on, in any form at all, I could use its CD burner to burn a recovery OS. But it can't even do that.

Let me get this right. You're trying to use your usb drive with a good windows installation on your desktop with it's corrupted hardrive. With the hardrive software cd, the software will act as a boot disk and format and partition your bad desktop drive, let you set it up as the boot or secondary drive, and may even make a copy of your usb windows installation to the hardrive. Try it. Check your retail hardrive boxes for this cd. It works great if you can find a copy. All you need is a working cd or dvd drive on your desktop. The software has detected drives when my bios or windows didn't. Or you can burn a copy of maxblast 5 or similar software for other hardrives on a friend's pc.

roonj

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
As noted by billbat, also you need to select the device as the first boot device. After you have the usb flash bootable it will be visible under select boot drive option along with your existing harddrives.