Ma78Lmt-Us2h - Ahci Rom loop

G

Hi. I just built a new pc. When starting it, I must of accidentally hit a key because it recognised my device as IDE but now it's stuck in a loop where the rom keeps scanning for devices for AHCI. It scans for devices, shows my drive and then goes to a blank screen. I've tried restarting but it continues this process over and over again. I can't even access the bios setup.. this thing just keeps overriding everything. how would I go about stopping this so I can just set my drive as the boot drive and continue on as normal(i.e. load windows).

G

Ihave tried another hard drive also, but it does the same thing.

G

I have tried them

Heres what happens:

1)Turn computer on

2)loads post bios screen and then immediately displays:

"AHCI Option ROM VERSION 3.0.1540.59
(c) 2009 Advanced micro devices. Inc All rights reserved.

Scanning devices _(flashing)

It stays like this, and eventually it'll find my hard drive

It'll then display my hard drive specs and stuff and then go to a blank screen

When I reset it does the same thing again. I cant access the bios setup or anything as this immediately loads after showing me the first screen.

bilbat

Splendid
You mean holding the front panel power button depressed never finally 'stops' the thing, at all?? It may take a while, and several reboots/cycles, but eventually, it should 'die off' to a powered down state...

G

Sorry its my fault. The thing doesnt restart by itself, I have to restart it. and when I do, the same thing comes up.

bilbat

Splendid
Well, here's the thing - powering down, disconnecting the PSU, and then draining the on-board caps by holding the power switch again, and doing a CMOS reset, should 'default' the drive controllers back out of AHCI mode, and let you get a 'normal' startup, with 'standard' IDE drive 'discovery'... If that's not working, maybe you need to disconnect all drives while it's powered down, before the reset, just for good measure...???

G

thanks. That did the job.

however, now I have more issues. My bios keeps saying:

"Begin to update backup BIOS to latest version.....
"Bios auto-recovering.............................." Tried it about 7 times now. Not ifxing itself -_-

bilbat

Splendid
Your BIOS is appearing, at least to the boot-block that is responsible for its first 'load & access', to be corrupted... Do you have a floppy attached to the thing ? [much easier that way!]

G

no floppy I'm afraid. Detects my hdd at least, gets past the initial first screen and now it just keeps Looping at "bios auto-recovering" updating backup bios to the latest version.

G

Nope. If I hit del(bios key) it'll tell me its loading bios, and then go to a blank screen with a flashing cursor.

G

Think I found the problem : dodgy RAM chip

Tried one RAM chip(2gb), got to windows logo(won't go further in because 64bit requires 4gb)

Put the other in, Same "Bios Auto recovery........." Popped up.

Tried the suspected dodgy chip on its own, the same "bios auto recovery......" kept coming up.

I can only conclude that its a dodgy ram chip causing it. Do you agree?