[SOLVED] Mac Book pro 2011 overheating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
Your fan should crank up at least a little every time you playback video or flash for an extended period of time. This is normal and it's your MBP's way of preventing overheating. :D
some cases it is from to much thermal paste being applied to the cpu, causing over heating in the cpu or other parts near it. The other one is some people not knowing what overheating in a laptop is, they think that 60C is over heating which frankly, is not, Lastly some people complaining about high heat when idling when the MAC isn't actually idling, there is a program using a bit of cpu power in the background

start searching around and you should be able to find cases of each of these

halcyon

Splendid
Marv, do you believe your 2011 MBP is overheating? (I ask because I'm wondering if this is an epidemic with the 2011 models)? I've had several 2011 MBP's before I settled on my current 17" (I wanted to try differently configured units)...and I haven't experienced what I could call overheating in any of them.

I also had a mid-2009 15" MBP that I never suspected of overheating.

What are the the alleged symptoms. Power-off, CPU throttling?

The MBPs are dense so that could be a cause but fortunately, its a problem I've only occasionally ever heard about.

As mentioned above there have been reports of poorly applied thermal paste that has caused some to experience overheating.

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
Mine was hot when I was watching some flash videos on the WWE site.My Farenheit is usually about 115 degrees and fan 2003 RPM sometimes it reaches 128 to.

halcyon

Splendid
I think that's normal with the MacBook Pro's when the CPU is very active. Remember, they are, relatively, very slim (and, therefore, quite dense) laptops.

I have seen reports of them getting quite warm but I think, unfortunately, that's by design. I know with my once I step in the CPU or GPU a bit the fans spin up and it begins to sound like a business jet (I like jets, though), but I could see how that may annoy some. However, its way better than the Sony I tried whose fan STAYED ON and always sounded loud.

wildwell

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
Your fan should crank up at least a little every time you playback video or flash for an extended period of time. This is normal and it's your MBP's way of preventing overheating. :D

Solution

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
You are right I am very careful when using my MBP as I gave this under a piece of glass as the room heats up quite a bit and it sits on a wooden desk.

Status
Not open for further replies.