Mac Edition Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 Spotted

Status
Not open for further replies.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
[citation][nom]mikehoncho67[/nom]Ahh the Mac versions of everything. Less powerful and significantly more expensive.[/citation]Yes but if you were to ask a Machead running a Mac Pro, they would swear up and down that it is much faster than any other graphics card in the world behind their fashion black framed glasses and believe it.

"Pricing is expected to be around €400 to €450. This is significantly more expensive than the ordinary HD 7950, which can be picked up for about €250."

Is anyone really surprised by this?
Apple is the richest company in the world for a reason people!

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
my thoughts were

"oh, this would look nice in a white pc, card color options would be nice to have available on pc. oh look, it works on pc too! and it doesnt have that fancy vapor x-like cooler, just amd stock.

hm, how much is this gonna cost?"

*reads €400 to €450

"HOLY HELL!"

undoubtably the bios would be modded by someone to work on a regular 7950(like the article points out). the white color and regular cooler isnt really worth that much more...

classzero

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
[citation][nom]dark_lord69[/nom]"Pricing is expected to be around €400 to €450. This is significantly more expensive than the ordinary HD 7950, which can be picked up for about €250."Is anyone really surprised by this?Apple is the richest company in the world for a reason people![/citation]
If I read the logo on the card, it states Sapphire and not Apple, thus your comment about Apple in this case is pure ignorance.

icemunk

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
Ooooh, looks like there will be money to make. I flashed my two year old Radeon 4870s for a Mac Pro, sold them on ebay for more than I payed for them new. 15 minutes of work, and a spend-too-much-money Mac user = profit.

murzar

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
[citation][nom]miqueladelaney45gj[/nom]my classmate's mother-in-law makes $82/hour on the laptop. She has been without a job for nine months but last month her income was $16557 just working on the laptop for a few hours. Read more here http://qr.net/kbdU[/citation]

My classmate's mother-in-law's dog's best dog friend's walker's aunt's ex husband's pool cleaner's grandmother's parrot says that you're lying.

wannabepro

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
[citation][nom]murzar[/nom]My classmate's mother-in-law's dog's best dog friend's walker's aunt's ex husband's pool cleaner's grandmother's parrot says that you're lying.[/citation]

I believe her.

murzar

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
[citation][nom]wannabepro[/nom]I believe her.[/citation]

You'd rather believe a 'mother-in-law' than a talking parrot.

You sir, i'm assuming, aren't married.

g-unit1111

Titan
We're moving on to the Radeon 8XXX series, the Mac Pros are just now getting the 7950, and before that Apple claimed that the 5770 was the fastest graphics card on the market. They're getting new GPUs at a snail's pace here. :ange:

murzar

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012

And 3 years later.. the iSheep will still think that they've got the fastest and the best product on their computers/devices.

Well since there is a way to get PC based cards to work in a Mac Pro I would do that instead of spending that much on a Mac card even if it has a dual BIOS that is not enough to make me spend that muck. I am just waiting for the 10.8.3 update so I can use my Sapphire HD 7950 in my Hackintosh and put this GTX 670 in the box as a backup card.

Fulgurant

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2012
[citation][nom]classzero[/nom]If I read the logo on the card, it states Sapphire and not Apple, thus your comment about Apple in this case is pure ignorance.[/citation]
So you're saying that Sapphire just randomly raised the price by 60-80% for this one Apple-compliant piece of hardware, with zero input from Apple?

Yeah, didn't think so. Your comment is willfully obtuse sophistry.

alexthager

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Quite evidently, Mac computers have never been the kings of gaming. However, in the last few years, they've become much more powerful in terms of graphics performance. Amazing? No, but I think it's good they're starting to focus more on it. The 15" Retina MBP has a 650M, which isn't terrible. The new iMac's have a few nice available chips, though expensive. I think this rumor could only lead to better computers, and more competition on the market.

Fulgurant

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2012

I don't keep up with Mac hardware, but I gotta say that I take a totally different theme from this news article: if AMD's second-best consumer card (fourth-best if we're including GHz editions) -- a card that was released more than a year ago -- is just now coming to Apple, at an absolutely massive price premium, then there's no wonder Mac users are in the gaming dark ages.

Granted, Apple's bread is buttered (quite lavishly) in the mobile space, so Apple probably doesn't care to resurrect their practically defunct war with the PC; it probably makes a certain amount of perverse business sense to milk the living bleep out of the relatively few consumers who buy Apple's desktop products. But from a consumer's perspective, I don't know how you could be encouraged by this Mac-branded 7950.

tobalaz

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
A nerfed down card for a Mac gamer?
Fantastic!
Now they can use overpriced and underpowered hardware to play the same games we Windows people played five years ago at twice the frame rate now that we did then!

s3anister

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
[citation][nom]g-unit1111[/nom]We're moving on to the Radeon 8XXX series, the Mac Pros are just now getting the 7950, and before that Apple claimed that the 5770 was the fastest graphics card on the market. They're getting new GPUs at a snail's pace here.[/citation]
Yes they do get GPUs at an astonishingly slow pace, however, we won't see new high-end desktop HD 8000 series parts (read: 89xx) until at least Q4 of 2013. HD 79xx is here to stay for a while longer...

Status
Not open for further replies.