Mac Firewire disks, physical connection???

I'm taking a Windows notebook to a job site where I will hook up a Mac
Firewire drive, and use TransMac to transfer data to the laptop.

Because I am not familiar with Mac add-on drive products, I have a few
elementary questions:

1. Do these Mac add-on drives typically have their own power supplies, or
are they powered through the Firewire port?

2. What kind of Firewire connector should I expect to find on the drive:
the small 4 pin i.link or standard 6 piin Firewire ?

in article 3MGdnRHbzvCcbX_dRVn-tA@comcast.com, Robert Morein at
nowhere@nowhere.com wrote on 6/30/04 9:53 AM:

> 1. Do these Mac add-on drives typically have their own power supplies, or
> are they powered through the Firewire port?

Typically they need to plug into the wall for power.

> 2. What kind of Firewire connector should I expect to find on the drive:
> the small 4 pin i.link or standard 6 piin Firewire ?

Standard 6-pin Firewire.

Dave Eisenstark

THE WEDNESDAY NIGHT SAVE-THE-WORLD SOCIETY
http://www.smartindiefilms.com

Dave Eisenstark wrote:
> in article 3MGdnRHbzvCcbX_dRVn-tA@comcast.com, Robert Morein at
> nowhere@nowhere.com wrote on 6/30/04 9:53 AM:
>
>>1. Do these Mac add-on drives typically have their own power supplies, or
>>are they powered through the Firewire port?
>

> Typically they need to plug into the wall for power.

The ones I use take their power from the FireWire. I've seen it both ways.

The best way to find out for sure is to either check out the drive or
the vendor's web site.

>>2. What kind of Firewire connector should I expect to find on the drive:
>>the small 4 pin i.link or standard 6 piin Firewire ?
>

> Standard 6-pin Firewire.

That's what I've seen, too.