Mac Hard Drive not showing up on Windows PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rockergage

Reputable
Aug 4, 2014
Have an older Sata 3 2tb hard drive i got from a Power Mac G5 i was planning to modify for a PC case and wanted to use the 2tb as an extra bit of storage along with my regular 1tb hard drive and .5tb ssd. So i pulled out an extra sata cable i had lying around and tried to connect it but realized that it wasn't showing up anywhere from Windows Disk Management to File Explorer. The Drive had been working fine in the Mac before i removed the drive and all of its components and when i plug the sata power in i hear noises but don't feel the disc spinning. I've tried switching the drive with my other HDD sata and power cables but it still didn't feel like connecting and hasn't been wanting to work. Any ideas? Don't care about the files on the disc. Thanks.

HoboJoe527

Commendable
Jun 10, 2017
Since the hard drive was previously used on a mac, it would have most likely been formatted to its compatibility. The main format a storage device uses that is compatible with windows is FAT32, however Macs will most likely have changed the format to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) which is not compatible with windows. You may have to connect the HDD to a mac and format it via Disk Utility to FAT32.

Status
Not open for further replies.