Question MAC issue

GreyFox37

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2008
I turned my Alienware 8th gen laptop on to play Final Fantasy 14 and I was getting an HTTPS system error. I reset the laptop and am still getting it. When I needed to get a refund from Door Dash, I was getting this error:

ERR_SSL_BAD_RECORD_MAC_ALERT

It's not my Anti-Virus and my laptop is actually not able to access Windows Updates, I am suspecting it's due to this error. Another solution I was attempting to try was to up my MTU to 1400 through my Gateway login. I did a factory reset on it, its an Arris, and the default login is admin and password, of course. My ISP is Cox. I went to 192.168.0.1 to log into it with those defaults, no dice. I've tried logging in from 4 different devices to configure the MTU and its giving me "incorrect password for admin!" every time. I'm not sure what else to do because some, not all, but some web-pages pop this error up and I can't play any online games on my laptop right now. I'm not sure what else to do aside from getting a replacement Gateway (I rent it through Cox).

Update: An ethernet connection works okay with it, so I'm now concerned about my wifi adapter, Killer 1550

How long before killer stuff is truly dead and buried. There stuff is such garbage and has so many bugs.

One of the first things I found when I searched that error is it is caused by the killer chipset on alienware devices that use it. It said there was a setting called advanced stream detect that was causing it.

Is the wifi nic on the laptop replacable maybe get a different one. Hopefully intel that bought killer does not start doing the stupid stuff killer did.

GreyFox37

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2008
I went to a friend's over the weekend, same issue there. It's Killer all right. I am using a dongle now I got off Amazon, no issues. i just hard connect at home now. No super biggie, but glad it wasn't anything else. Thanks for the tip!