Question Mac issues connecting to various servers

subterminal303

Commendable
Oct 13, 2017
Howdy folks,

I'm trying to fix my neighbor's Mac laptop. While I'm super comfortable with PCs, I'm out of my element with Apple products.

Her Mac laptop is old (circa 2014) but running Mojave 10.14.5. This issue started a week ago: she initially complained about her mail app not connecting to her email, with an error similar to "imap.mail.blahblah server not responding". She's been using it for years and hasn't changed anything. So, I tried removing then re-adding the account. No luck. I tried adding my personal gmail account, and no luck with that.

So, I noticed there was an update available. I figured that I would try to update it. After a few moments, there was an error saying that the update could not connect to Apple servers. I was not able to download the 10.14.6 update.

I then tested general internet connectivity by loading some websites, which works. So it's not a network issue.

I then restarted the mac in safe mode. When I did so, the email suddenly worked flawlessly, the update worked great, etc. I installed the update and restarted, but the lack of mail connectivity is still there. So, how do I continue to troubleshoot?

TRENDING THREADS