Question Mac Mini 2011 model will not boot

Abdul Haq Shaikh

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2015
I have a mid 2011 mac mini model MC816LL/A with 6620 Radeon Graphic card. Last week I was booting it into Windows 10 through Bootcamp. Like always I got a message "Updating Steam" with a progress bar because this is something my teenage son has installed for his computer games. This takes a long time and I normally cancel it. But on this day I did not cancel it and it went on for maybe 20-25 minutes. Then suddenly the screen turned white with some horizontal lines in columns. The keyboard would not work so I shut it down with the power button.

Now when I put on this mac mini I do not hear the normal chime when it boots. Now nothing appears on the screen. I can see the power on light and after some time I can only hear the fan noise. I tried to start it several times with the power button but with the same result. Kindly let me know as to what could have gone wrong with the computer and let me know as to how I can fix this problem.

spinningstill

Honorable
Jan 15, 2018
Try starting in Safe Mode. That is restarting and holding down the left shift key. If it launches correctly in Safe Mode it should state it in the top right of the screen. Then, delete any games you see in the applications folder. Also go into your user account and then look at the log in items and delete those. Its a general good practice to not have anything start up at log in.

Grace and peace.

Abdul Haq Shaikh

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2015
Try starting in Safe Mode. That is restarting and holding down the left shift key. If it launches correctly in Safe Mode it should state it in the top right of the screen. Then, delete any games you see in the applications folder. Also go into your user account and then look at the log in items and delete those. Its a general good practice to not have anything start up at log in.

Grace and peace.
I tried the safe mode but it does not work.

Try resetting the nvram see if you can clear an error.

Shut down your Mac, then turn it on and immediately press and hold these four keys together: Option, Command, P, and R. You can release the keys after about 20 seconds, during which your Mac might appear to restart.

• On Mac computers that play a startup sound, you can release the keys after the second startup sound.

spinningstill

Honorable
Jan 15, 2018
Sorry, there isn't. Most Apple products are supported for seven (7) years. It is called a logic board which is an all in one item (including the GPU). You can take the drive out if need be so you have your data. I sold mine for parts. Again, it may have been part of an Apple recall for the GPU but I missed the recall time period. It is always worth a trip to the Genius Bar at Apple to see what kind of options they will offer. Other World Computing (OWC) has good prices on used machines as does Apple refurbished.

Grace and peace.