[SOLVED] Mac Mini, good for Music & Film?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Destroysall

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
Hi,

I usually use PC, but I want to get a Mac for Video Editing and Music Production (Film Composition and general recording with instruments as well as using loops and other MIDI forms). Will a Mac Mini be sufficient for my needs? I don't really want to cough up $2000-$3000 for a Mac Pro, just a Mac Mini would be good for me. I really only plan to use the Mac just for Video Editing and Music Production, and maybe a little internet here and there.

I hope someone can help and thanks in advance,

Destroysall

Solution

Yes, you can certainly do that. Also, the mini is a good music editing platform as you are describing your plans.

You can increase the HDD to a faster, larger capacity one (internal HDD). Remember, it uses 2.5 inch drives (like a laptop). The largest ones I am aware of are 1TB. Like this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152242

npowers86

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
the mac mini should be decent for some video editing and music production, but its not going to blow anything out of the water. the base mini comes with 2gb of memory so you would def. want to at least get 4gb.
the video card is a NVIDIA GeForce 320M which is ok for minimal video editing.
what programs were you planning on using?

final cut express (for video) and logic express (music production) are both good programs and not too taxing on the mini but like i said dont expect anything demanding

good news is internet and hd video will run perfectly fine on the mini

Destroysall

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010

Pretty much that is what exactly I'm planning on doing. I planned on upgrading to logic pro one day when I do get it and install multiple add-ons for loops so I can compose using a keyboard. I wanted something that can do video editing easily because Logic has the ability to import video and for you to create music to it. I want my Mac to be able to handle it. I also plan to connect two monitors to the Mac Mini to have a better workspace. Is there a way to upgrade the video card at all?

wildwell

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
No way to upgrade MacMini gpu, but you can run two monitors on the Mini.

The Mini will run all the software you intend to use. Be sure to have 4-8GB or RAM in it for the best performance. Keep in mind that Final Cut Express doesn't work with many of the professional video codecs (formats) in use; 'Pro' version only.

The MacMini is a capable machine to work on if you are doing this as a hobby, but it's not going to be practical for real professional post production.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Also, keep in mind that the Mac Mini is essentially a laptop computer crammed into a tiny desktop case. Your ability to change out anything beyond a bigger, faster HDD or more memory, inside the case, is VERY limited. As long as you are using Garage Band, Final Cut Express, and the other express/lite music/video apps, you will be fine. The Mac Pro is more suitable for professional uses, but that does sound like overkill for you for now. You can always upscale later if you really want to.

Good luck!

Destroysall

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
So if I don't do video editing, but just music composition, will that be okay then? My primary use is gonna be for music editing. The reason why I included the Video Editing, is primarily that I would like to be able to open up video during a post production and be able to watch it, then add a score for it. Almost like in this video,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOBJ5ELr5z8

Sorry, it's the best video I could find which shows what I kinda want to do. If I can use Logic Pro with multiple midi add-ons and still be able to do what is done in the video on the Mac Mini, I'll be a happy camper!

Also, could I upgrade the HDD to one that has faster RPM?

COLGeek

Cybernaut

Yes, you can certainly do that. Also, the mini is a good music editing platform as you are describing your plans.

You can increase the HDD to a faster, larger capacity one (internal HDD). Remember, it uses 2.5 inch drives (like a laptop). The largest ones I am aware of are 1TB. Like this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152242

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.