Question Mac Mini won't turn on - no power light or fan sound

al92

Reputable
Oct 29, 2017
Hi,
I've got a late-2014 mac mini that won't switch on.

I plugged in a power lead that I'd verified on another mac mini, connected it to a display that I know works but when I pressed the power button, nothing happens at all - no light, no fan noise, nothing.

It passed a PAT test in July of this year so I'm assuming there can't be anything majorly wrong but on the other hand I assume it must be a power issue if I don't even get a light on.

I'd like to repair it if possible but not if it will cost a huge amount. Just wondered if anyone can help with possible causes and fixes?

Thanks!

SteveRX4

Notable
BANNED
Sep 29, 2020
Apple stuff is a secret. You have to take it Apple.

If nothing at all happens then I gather that the power supply has failed.
But it might be hard to get a replacement.
And just by coincidence, Apple will tell you that it costs $1 less than buying a complete new machine.

As you can see - I'm a bit cynical towards Apple. Maybe I've watched too many Louis Rossman videos.

al92

Reputable
Oct 29, 2017
Apple stuff is a secret. You have to take it Apple.

If nothing at all happens then I gather that the power supply has failed.
But it might be hard to get a replacement.
And just by coincidence, Apple will tell you that it costs $1 less than buying a complete new machine.

As you can see - I'm a bit cynical towards Apple. Maybe I've watched too many Louis Rossman videos.

Hah! I'm also cynical about Apple but for the purpose I have in mind, I need a mac of some sort! I'm also really keen to learn to repair this stuff myself.