Discussion Mac Mini

Status
Not open for further replies.

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
As you know the new Mac Mini just came out. I own the 2011 Mac Mini should I sell this for the newest one? I have 8 gigs of memory in mine now.It is the 2.3 model. Thanks

Does your current Mac Mini not perform to the standard you require? If not you may want to investigate the new one (although you might want to wait for a few reviews) or look into more powerful alternatives.

But if present performance is acceptable - well, do you want to just give Apple more money? I ran my first Mac Mini for 7 years before feeling the need to upgrade.

hairystuff

Distinguished
The performance gains seem negligible between them, unless you need USB3.0, FireWire800 and thunderbolt port capabilities, I still use my old G5 quad to do all my video processing/editing, everything else I use a PC for whether it be WinXP/Win7/Linux I use the most suitable tool to get the job done efficiently.

Marv's current Mini already has Firewire 800 and Thunderbolt, so USB 3 is the only real difference. Performance uprades seem to be minimal and would hardly justify the upgrade (to me at any rate).

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
Hey ... is this just a theoretical debate or are you seriously considering? People that buy Mac Mini's are not typically worried about performance ... and your web surfing computer isn't that old.

If you are serious, you need to provide the same background information that we all ask for when answering these. Usage, needs, spare $$ laying around, etc.

The Mac Mini is a very powerful little machine. It can do much more than just surf the web. Sure, you wouldn't want to play games on it, but it has enough processor power to do anything a much larger computer can do. It's basically a Mac Book Pro with no screen. Although I wouldn't be interested in buying one myself (I like to build my own), it's an amazing piece of engineering. I say wait, as you already have a nice rig...unless you have money burning a hole in your pocket...then I say go for it!

deadlockedworld

Distinguished

Yea I wasn't dissing the merits of the Mini. Bought them for both of my parents. Just doesn't seem like a machine that gets outgrown quickly. The 2011 should be running the latest operating system and everything ... the graphics are the only weak point.

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
Really for 7 years you ran the Mac Mini? My mac Mini runs without any problem at all.thanks

I'm still running my original G4 Mini as a media server and I play a little with PPC assembler on it. I replaced it with a 2011 Mini server because I wanted to do iPad development. I would hope it will last me at least 5 years; if I replace it then I'm sure that I'll still find another use for it.

deadlockedworld

Distinguished

Then don't replace it ... ? This is now a pointless thread.

/ If you wanted to have a debate about the new machine just to chat with people you should have said up front instead of asking for advice and then not answering any of our follow-up questions.

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
Why is your attitude so cranky ? I did answer one members questions for your information. Have patience you will live longer in life.

Status
Not open for further replies.