Mac or custom build? (Complete Newbie!)

Sep 29, 2018
Buy a used/refurbished Mac or build a PC to smoothly edit HD video? I need to go as inexpensive as humanly possible! (without compromising quality.) I currently use an HP Elitebook pro with 8 Gb of ram and an SSD. I want to use a desktop so I can bet better performance at a lower price.

Note: I have never built a PC before in my life.

Solution

I wouldn’t know any cheaper builds, but you can totally check out PCPartPicker.com for some awesome builds!
Look for some high rated post for more quality builds, just know that the GPU (a Video Card) is the most important part of the computer when gaming or editing videos.

bushdid711

Prominent
Sep 26, 2018
I don’t expect to be too good at doing this, but I gathered some information from boatloads of communities and created a under $1000 build with pretty awesome specs.
The AMD CPU is affordable and powerful, the motherboard supports WiFi/Bluetooth/LAN and can be upgraded anytime.
The memory is the cheapest with mid-high ratings with good high-end speed.
The storage is picked to find the best price and ratings, you can change this one.
The video card is super clocked and is now $100 off, great ratings and price for a great card.
The case is the cheapest with the most affordable airflow.
The power supply is not cheap, but with good ratings. (You never go cheap with a power supply)

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor ($165.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock - X470 Master SLI/AC ATX AM4 Motherboard ($138.87 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Sniper X 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($154.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($87.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB SC GAMING Video Card ($279.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Phanteks - Eclipse P350X (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx (2018) 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($52.00 @ Newegg)
Total: $939.82

Feel free to ask more from the community.

Sep 29, 2018
Thanks, bushdid711! Any suggestions for one around $500? I don't need to edit 4K video or anything. If I can get something cheaper and upgrade it over time, that is a good option. The specs you provided seem really awesome!

bushdid711

Prominent
Sep 26, 2018

I wouldn’t know any cheaper builds, but you can totally check out PCPartPicker.com for some awesome builds!
Look for some high rated post for more quality builds, just know that the GPU (a Video Card) is the most important part of the computer when gaming or editing videos.

Solution