Mac or PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hello, I am going into media arts and technology (Digital Imaging/Graphic Design) and I was wondering what kind of laptop I should get a Mac or PC. I am more familiar with PC's but I hear that Mac has better programs. So I was wondering if anyone with some experience could give me some helpful information. Thank you.

Have you checked to see what the media arts and technology departments recommend? Which Mac programs are you referring to? Do you know which programs you will be using? I only ask because as 6R1MO1R2 mentioned many of the Adobe and Autodesk products are available for the Mac as well as the PC.

nickboutalas

Reputable
Jul 31, 2014
As you know Macs are better ate performance most times and the cpu is made especially for the specific performance Apple wants.Also iMAcs are better at video editing and graphic apps. But you can upgrade a pc whenever you want.A pc will probably have Windows and a lot of applications are made for Windows although you can install Windows in a Mac.

Zkye

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2014
For everyone who said that a PC is upgradable compared to a mac, he was referring to a LAPTOP, so that's not very upgradable either.

@OP: If you have a rather large budget, go for a mac. I usually don't recommend it, but in this case I will because the quality and the after-sale services are better for Apple products. But that's only if you can afford it. If not, go with a PC laptop. It's cheaper.

uranus30

Reputable
Apr 8, 2014
Macbook Pro is the best option for Graphic Design . The retina display in itself is so beautiful . If you have the budget for it you should definitely opt for a macbook pro .

thetechnoobguy

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
From what I have heard from graphic designers, a vast majority of people overwhelmingly prefer mac over PC, and that in fact some schools it is *required* to buy a mac for the class. Apparently telling you boss you're a PC user can put your career in jeopardy. This is absurd and disappointing considering there is a far greater bang for your buck for PC's, unless you're going for the gimmick of a sleek design and marketing buzzwords like "retina display".

I would strongly recommend a PC laptop over a Mac any day unless you're required to in your class. You could always add a 512gb or 1TB SSD that is significantly cheaper than Mac's PCIe solution. The 16GB that the Mac has is also completely useless unless you're going to be hardcore rendering and editing, though you can get PC's with the same or better RAM.

TL;DR Mac's are extremely overpriced and you can literally find a PC laptop for half the price that is significantly better. 1800p and PCIe storage are arguably not worth the insane overprice.

Dat_Robot

Honorable
Jul 24, 2014
Retina is nothing but a MARKETING term. It is use (originally) to describe a display with more than 300 pixels par inch
But most of the laptop devices and next gen mobile devices have around 400 ppi. So if plan buying and apple product dont go for any of their laptops. The CPU is not that powerful even for the premium price so if you ABSOLUTLY want a mac, get a MAC pro. And no PC perform equally in graphics design than macs twice its price or even more. So you should defenitvly get a PC.

Zkye

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2014

You can be creative with a pencil and a piece of paper. And you don't have to get Windows 8.

Saphorian

Reputable
Aug 10, 2014

and productivity*

mowingmachine

Reputable
Oct 10, 2014
With a mac you get options! Most decide very quickly that they love OSX and want to stick with it. If you decide that you would rather stick with Windows or already have Windows versions of programs, you can boot into Windows on your Mac and it will run just as well if not better than comparable PC's on the market. With a Mac you always a very secure machine which will run superbly and never let you down, along with the fantastic graphics and ergonomics that have made Apple famous. As far as price goes, sure, if you're comparing it to a $300 Acer, a Mac probably isnt for you. But, if you're looking for a professional product, most decent business/pro grade machine run close to 4 digits anyway, which is where the Apple models start.

On top of this, I dare you to ask people who have used both platforms for their opinion.I have found that most people with a strong bias toward windows have never owned or spent a significant amount of time using a Mac, while almost every Apple "fan-boy" has converted to Apple within the last 10 years, and many are very proficient with both platforms. As someone who works in the IT industry, I am required to work on both platforms everyday, and throughout every week. I can tell you from my perspective, I groan every time I have to sit down at a PC. Almost every time the machines have multiple instances of badware/malware, and obviously things rapidly go downhill from there. When I sit down at a mac however, generally, it just works.

mowingmachine

Reputable
Oct 10, 2014

If you're trying to claim that Linux has better application support than OSX, then you must be looking at applications way outside the mainstream. And again with Mac, you get options. You can choose to run any application in the world, whether it was built for Windows or PC originally. People try to claim that OSX is somehow limited by the fact that a few developers out there still make their products for Windows only, when in reality OSX is the only platform where you can literally run anything you want. And beside that, almost all major developers (especially in the creative world) make versions of their software to run on either platform (including Microsoft and Adobe), while several are designed to run on OSX only.

I think Linux is fantastic! OSX is obviously the Apple developed Linux build, which is where OSX inherited its security from in the first place. I think that open source Linux builds are awesome for the hobbyist and those of us who love to just play around with tech. Personally I run my servers off of Ubuntu Server. That being said, anything outside of OSX or Windows just does not belong in the professional world at present because of its limited distribution driving such little support from software developers.

Joesong44

Reputable
Oct 16, 2014
Get a Mac. Though the price is relatively high compared to its performance. But it is easy to use and stable. I was a PC MS user until I am working. It's not comfortable to use mac at the very first beginning but after sometime, I feel it's more helpful as everything seems to think on your side and always makes me not bothering ads appearing on windows from all kinds of installed softwares. So by saying if you choose mac or pc, it can be said whether to choose mac osx or windows 8 .

Zkye

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2014

I just love what reasons Apple fanboys have for buying a Mac. It makes me ROFL. I won't even bother anymore. You guys are beyond hope.

Apple is really good at marketing, they basically sell you something that a PC has as a new product. Of course they're nice, but that's because they're ridiculously expensive. They look good, they're all shiny and stuff, but in terms of hardware, a PC will be much better for the same price as a Mac. Maybe iOS looks better to you, maybe not, appearance is all opinion, but hopefully you won't just be staring at your desktop. Don't let people fool you with "Macs don't get viruses" or "Retina looks nice", because they do get viruses, there are ways to avoid them on a PC, and all Retina is is a high PPI, which most modern laptops should have. It's all about buying the right thing for you.

Dat_Robot

Honorable
Jul 24, 2014
ewok is right, The main force of Apple is in marketing , this is where they score their points. They make their products look shiny and all that but ,as he said, in term of hardware, a PC definitvly step over it for the same price.

Status
Not open for further replies.