[SOLVED] Mac OS and external monitors

LionGamer

Honorable
Nov 29, 2014
My external monitor is dying for my 2019 Macbook Pro (1 TB SSD model). I'm looking for suggestions for an ultrawide monitor (or altenrnative). I want to make sure that whatever I get, I can take advantage of the correct resolution with MacOS and look as good as possible. I've been considering the following via Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0876DBCB...olid=2GUZELWRCM0S0&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TXM7K4...olid=2GUZELWRCM0S0&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Do I need a different HDMI chord (other than standard) to get the most out of either of these? Would I be better off with a different monitor all together?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greately apprecaited. I can't spend a fortune, but would like a monitor with a high resolution and as much screen real estate as possible. I use my mac for work and video editing primarily.

Thanks so much!

-Mike.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Those are 1080 screens. Large 1080 and 1440 screens are non-retina. Meaning they won't look great in macOS Mojave and later. Due to blurry looking fonts. If you want something to look as nice as your retina display. You'll want a retina monitor (2160 or 2880). I'd say 4K/5K but a lot of companies with ultrawide's which are only 1080 or 1440 call their screens 4k/5k because of their horizontal resolution.

So, if you want something which looks as good as your internal display. Stick with 4K and IPS. As the 2160 vertical ultrawides are far more expensive than what you are looking at. At that price range they won't have the color depth or accuracy but they will be as sharp.
Those are 1080 screens. Large 1080 and 1440 screens are non-retina. Meaning they won't look great in macOS Mojave and later. Due to blurry looking fonts. If you want something to look as nice as your retina display. You'll want a retina monitor (2160 or 2880). I'd say 4K/5K but a lot of companies with ultrawide's which are only 1080 or 1440 call their screens 4k/5k because of their horizontal resolution.

So, if you want something which looks as good as your internal display. Stick with 4K and IPS. As the 2160 vertical ultrawides are far more expensive than what you are looking at. At that price range they won't have the color depth or accuracy but they will be as sharp.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS