Discussion Mac os x and logic 9 in windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

hypogogic

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
Recently (august 2012) i built a new machine for my home use.

as it had enough ram and a lot of threads on the processor I leaned I could Run mac os x using vwmare. Which was all fine and dandy. i got it up and running
allocated it 8 gb of RAM and 4 cores on a single processor and it runs just fine

however its my understanding is that to get the audio output sorted i would need special patches. which I'm literally clueless about (please help)

Also i like the idea of dual booting mac and window ie just buying an ssd and installing mac onto it and running both that and windows from one machine on separate screens.

The problem i have with doing so is that i find it hard to tell my HDD's apart in the bios as all the serial numbers just confuse me.
Is there anything i can do with windows running command prompt or something to rename all my drives in the bios so they are easily identifiable?

thus when i add a new drive with mac installed i can choose which to boot or dual boot.

Any information at all would be greatly appreciated. Having spent a lot of money on my windows machine (that is used primarily for gaming on the pc platform)
it would be nice to be able to run mac os x on my windows machine and be able to run my favoured music production software (logic studio pro) without the extra expenditure of a mac.

Many thanks in advance to anyone whom can help.

BloodyDream3

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
Let me clarify completely, you want to run both OSX and Windows at the exact same time? I am, somewhat, knowledgeable about a dual boot so I can help with that. No idea about both at once, never heard of it and don't think that it's possible.

BloodyDream3

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012

I know how to do that, kind of, but I'm just unsure of exactly what he wants. Is it even possible to have both Windows and OSX running at the same time? I thought that when you ran it virtually, it shut the other down?

mikerockett

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2012

Shouldn't be that way for a VM, the VM should run in a window like any other software.

BloodyDream3

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012

Yeah, I understand that. Bad wording on my part. But it doesn't seem like that's what he wants. I took as if he wants both of them running next to each other to where he can use both at one time, as if he had a Mac and PC next to each other.

mikerockett

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2012

That is doable, using a dual monitor set up he has windows open on the main screen say, then he has his vm software with osx running in a window full screened on the other monitor. Clicks into one monitor hes using windows, clicks into the other monitor hes using osx.

BloodyDream3

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012

Yeah, I was just thinking about that and wondering if it would. It seemed too easy, so I figured that it wouldn't haha. I don't think that he was talking about using VM though, but that's the best, and probably the only, way to do it.

We've forgotten about the other question about finding the SSDs in the BIOS. I don't think that it's possible to rename them in Windows, might be able to in the BIOS but it depends. The surefire way would be to leave one unconnected, write down the name, and boot it to figure out which OS is on it. Then clearly the other drive would be the other OS, so you wouldn't need to do it again.

mikerockett

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2012

I don't think you can rename them either. That's a reasonable way to indicate which is which.

Easiest would be if they're two different sizes you could just check the size. Alternatively you could read the number off the HDD itself.

BloodyDream3

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012

Unless they are identical drives. I just assumed that they were, if they aren't then it will be much easier.

mikerockett

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2012

If they are identical then best bet is as you suggested and keep one disconnected.

BloodyDream3

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012

We'll just have to wait and see. I think that it's kind of funny that we've been on here discussing all of this and isn't either of our's thread haha.

BloodyDream3

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
I just came across this guide about doing this, I haven't read much yet but it could be helpful
http://forum.recordingreview.com/f58/using-logic-9-your-pc-guide-30790/

mikerockett

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2012

:lol: At least he'll be more informed when he returns.

hypogogic

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
thanks for all the help totally forgot about this account I the end I gave up and went with just buying a mac. Too much hassle to have to boot form an SSD and then all my work isn't backed up or recoverable by apple care as such due to it effectively being a hackmack. None the less sorry for my late reply and thanks for the discussing the topic with me

cbits

Reputable
Sep 29, 2014
This is do able. I was able to make this work.

steps:
-install OSX in vmware (theres plently tutorials outhere)
-install logic in OSX (easy)
-install komplete 9
-make some beats

Status
Not open for further replies.