[SOLVED] Mac OS X on PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

mailhull

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012
Hi all,
I wish to Run Mac OSx on my Pc. I read it somewhere i can use VmWare and make it possible. But my main question is whether i'll be able to use Final Cut Pro, Motion & Color ultimately Editing and Animation software on it or there will be a problem of performance in it?

I'm short on budget so thinking to buy Good Pc of around $1400 and use VMWare on it.
Whats your recommended system config should be like for pc?

P.S My system Config:

2.2Ghz AmD phenom quad x4 9550
Asus M3a78em Mobo
4GB RAM DDR2
1 GB DDR5 XFX graphics card.

Waiting for some good suggestions. Thanks

Solution
First you will have to buy VMware workstation($250) as VMware player(free version) doesn't support virtualizing Mac os X. Also when virtualizing an os it will not take full advantage of the hardware so for what you are wanting to do it's not going to work very well as the gpu wont be utilized at all and the cpu wont be fully utilized either. My advice is to not waste the time and money trying, you'll only be left disappointed.

ram1009

Distinguished
I assume your motivation is because you want to run MAC only software. I've never created a "hackintosh" but I've read that the setup is difficult and it requires constant tweaking. I have trouble believing there isn't an equivalent PC software.

Virtualizing OSX is against the terms of service. You can ignore those if you like but the rendering stack for OSX has not been reverse engineered at all, thus there's no 2D or 3D acceleration at all. As a result, many applications simply will not run and those that do will be horribly slow. It's basically worthless to try and virtualize OSX.

Additionally, it does not work on AMD CPUs, only Intel.

bignastyid

Titan
First you will have to buy VMware workstation($250) as VMware player(free version) doesn't support virtualizing Mac os X. Also when virtualizing an os it will not take full advantage of the hardware so for what you are wanting to do it's not going to work very well as the gpu wont be utilized at all and the cpu wont be fully utilized either. My advice is to not waste the time and money trying, you'll only be left disappointed.

Solution

VMWare Workstation doesn't support virtualizing OSX either, it has to be unlocked with a third party tool. VMWare Player should support it as well.

I agree though, it's a complete waste of time.

mailhull

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012
Thanks for quick and short replies guys. It was of lot help. probably i shall find ways to buy a MAC then.
If someone is kind enough to just tell me quickly whether working long hours on Macbook Pro15" has heating issues and loss of efficiency or for working on FCP i can without any hesitation buy MBP or go for Imac?

Thanks Again

wildwell

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
You CAN do FCP work on a decent 15" MBP laptop as long as you aren't doing any real heavy lifting, such as 4K or 3D work; but you're still better off on an iMac, especially if you're trying to get the most performance for your $$$.

fat-chunk

Honorable
Sep 3, 2012
There is a massive community of people who are in the same boat as you.
Their requirements:

-To build their own custom PCs at good value and with optimized parts for specific requirements.
-To run both Mac OS X and Windows (or any other OS for that matter) on the same machine.
- Utilize all of the features and programs specific to OS X in a hassle free and legal way.

These machines are called Customacs or Hackintoshes.

This website will hold all of the information regarding these issues with a massive community and active forums. It gives you information on setup, specific components, news, OS updates and pretty much anything you need to know.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/home.php

I would definitely advise checking this out and spending some time looking into this as it might be very worthwhile and beneficial to your needs and help you save money :)

Hope this helped!

vyreon

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
If you have the right hardware, the Hackintosh installation from tonymacx86 is really simple. If you don't have the right hardware, you might have to tweak something but a lot of people think the work is worth it.

rocknrollz

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
Do not buy a mac unless you have good money to spend. Macs are great and reliable if you can pay the premium, which most people cannot. As stated above, go for a hackintosh. With all the guides it is very simple to do.

mailhull

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012
well thanks for your suggestion and i read all the steps for making a hackintosh. My Pc will cost $1400 approx and new MBP 15 is costing $2000 with 8GB RAM Upgrade.
Thing is that i am hesitating in making a hackintosh and saving those $600 thinking what if any problem arises. I know forums have succesful hackintosh reports but also they have posted Mac S/w live very close to their hardware and if they find anything not matching they start creating problems. do you think there will be no problem even if i use hardware intensive applications like Final Cut Pro, Motion Etc.

fat-chunk

Honorable
Sep 3, 2012
I'm sure it will be fine, the forums offer plenty of support and many people have plenty of experience to offer. From personal experience I have found them to be very friendly with newcomers and have given me step by step help in the past.

$600 is quite a lot, especially considering that a MBP is non-upgradable and the fact that Apple seem to have started retiring old hardware more quickly (e.g. 2008 and some 2009 Macboooks and Airs do not support Mountain Lion, original iPad no longer getting updates and was only released 2 years ago).

This way, you will be able to prolong the life of your machine and upgrade components where and when necessary for less.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS