[SOLVED] Mac OSX on Toshiba L855-14J

Status
Not open for further replies.

mhenri2200

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011
Hi!

I currently have Windows 7 Professional 64-bit.
One day I was wondering, if my laptop can run OSX, since a few years back I got my AMD mini-PC running with Leopard and Snow Leopard.

My laptop specs are:
CPU: Intel i7-3630QM
GPU: HD 7670M 2GB dedicated
HDD: 750GB 5400rpm
USB 3.0, wifi, bluetooth, 15,6" LED screen, DVD drive, HDMI, LAN, VGA and so on....

I was wondering if my laptop could run OSX and what version? I think my cpu probably will support it good since it's an intel not amd.
I don't need guides on how to install OSX, since I have done it a hundred times already... BUT I need somewhat confirmation if I can run it. Maybe some user has a similar laptop or similar cpu and got it working?

Thanks in advance,
Henri

Solution
The processor should be more than adequate, the GPU will probably need the custom ATI drivers selected, I know the Nvidia, Intel HD and ATI GPUs have custom drivers available, dual booting Win 7 should be ok not to sure about Win 8 (Win 8s UEFI might interfere with multi-booting, but haven't tried it).

hairystuff

Distinguished
The processor should be more than adequate, the GPU will probably need the custom ATI drivers selected, I know the Nvidia, Intel HD and ATI GPUs have custom drivers available, dual booting Win 7 should be ok not to sure about Win 8 (Win 8s UEFI might interfere with multi-booting, but haven't tried it).

Solution

mhenri2200

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011
Yeah.
In my case, I'll try Mountain Lion. I'll see it tomorrow, how it goes.
I read somewhere that Lion, Snow Leopard and older versions aren't working very well with HD7xxx series and probably 3rd gen mobile i7 processors.

hairystuff

Distinguished
Toms forums are a little screwy since the updates with double posts and reply posts being ghosted into oblivion, I haven't tried any of ATI offerings lately with OSX, last setups I've done were on a Nvidia GTX550Ti with a i5 LGA1156 and onboard Intel GMA 3650 Graphics, with a atom dual core, both seemed quite happy with snow leopard and leopard.

mhenri2200

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011
Hmm.. very strange.

I'm using iAtkos ML2 and followed this http://www.macbreaker.com/2013/01/install-mountain-lion-iatkos-ml2-hackintosh.html guide.
iAtkos bootloader shows up successfully.

But when I try to boot from USB (by selecting the "osxinstall USB" from iAtkos bootloader, I get this:
IMG_0998.JPG

And I have tried EVERY bootflag: -v, busratio, cpus, PCIRootUID, UseKernelCache, GraphicsEnabler ......
All of the above give me the same screen. :??:

hairystuff

Distinguished
It seems to be detecting the display mode incorrectly, try it with an external monitor if you have one, once the os is installed then change the resolution.

edit:
If you can use command flags to set the resolution to 1024x768 try that, it maybe the native resolution of 1366x768 might not be compatible prior to the install.

mhenri2200

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011

The problem is that I cannot even get to the install screen since at booting the USB, I get that chibberish stuff...
And I tried connecting a monitor (through VGA) and it doesn't seem to work...

EDIT: Tried it with "Graphics Mode"="1024x768x32" and it didn't work. Still that giberysh screen...

mhenri2200

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011

It only goes to the internal display, not the external. Tried with VGA and HDMI. None worked..
As for the Fn keys, they do not work. They only seem to work when in Windows or loading Windows.

EDIT: Maybe, if I add 7670m kexts to my usb install, it might load correctly..? Altough I read that many people didn't get them to work. (source: http://osx86.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=3436&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter ).

EDIT 2: Adding 7670m and IntelCPUMonitor kexts to System\Library\Extensions didn't work and gives me the same BS again.
Maybe if I go to the store, buy a dual-layer DVD and try installing OSX from it... it may work.
At the moment, I'm trying to install it from Corsair Flash Voyager GT USB 3.0 16GB (speeds are quite impressive :D ).

mhenri2200

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011

Well.. that's my only option at the moment, since USB install does not work.

A 3rd option would be virtual machine, but that doesn't fell the same as the real thing (I have Snow Leopard running in Virtual Box at the moment as we speak).

Status
Not open for further replies.