Discussion Mac OSX vs. windows 8 for editing/gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Basically which one do you think is better for editing and gaming?

Kjwinden

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
Windows 8 is to windows 7 as Windows vista is to windows XP....I would stay away from 8 and go with 7. The only thing I would disagree with bryon is that OSX has more user friendly video editing SW, as OSX is designed for people who are computer retarded.

Saying Windows 8 is as bad as Vista is stupid. Saying Windows 8 is bad because of the stupid metro GUI is silly. Install start8 or classic shell and your good to go.

Macs are for computer retarded people though. :D

fudoka711

Distinguished
Macs used to be the only place to go to when wanting to do video editing. Today, windows has improved a lot and there's hardly any reason to specifically use a Mac for video editing.

I'd take windows 8 over OSX any day. Windows 8 has its issues being "metro" and not defaulting to the desktop like we're used to, but its still a great OS. Any good video editing software will work on it just fine. Plus you can actually play games on a windows computer =D

lukey1990

Honorable
Jun 25, 2013

*You're

Posted from my MacBook Air too :lol:

BTW, I'm a successful ICT tech and have a lot of experience with large-scale networking, telephony and automation. So I'm hardly computer retarded.

MacBooks are the best laptops on the planet, hardware and software wise. Sorry if you can't deal with that.

vindicate7

Honorable
Feb 14, 2013
I realize it's been two months since the OP, but if you're still on the edge, take the above posts (and their corresponding opinions :) ) with a grain of salt.

If you are building your machine yourself, it's hard not to go with Windows. You can't really build a MAC (you can try but Apple frowns on the hackintosh process....)

If budget isn't really a problem, I STRONGLY suggest a Mac, as you can use BootCamp and simply install Windows onto it in a dual-boot setup and have the best of both worlds :p

I find humour in people such as yourself, lukey1990, I really do.

You correct me by saying "your" is actually "you're" and then you proceed to butcher the English language with your terrible grammar. We are on an internet forum were being very formal in writing is unnecessary. Correcting such a mistake to make yourself look or feel superior, which it appears to be, then proceeding to write in an informal fashion is quite an ironic presentation you've made. This is the internet where people can write poorly like you have, ignore errors, or spell differently on purpose. Honestly, I couldn't care how I spell on the Internet, I am not going to write all the time as if I am writing another 300 page paper.

Mr. lukey1990, most consumers who use an Apple computer are computer illiterate, and they want something unanimously simple despite the great cost they have to endure for that simpleness. You or I can easily use a Mac, Linux, or Windows PC, but not everyone can handle that like we can. People need to learn how to adapt(not want everything over simplified) and use technology because the world is gradually evolving into a technological beast, so to speak.

You need to consider that on a hardware level that a Dell laptop or an Apple laptop are not much different. On a software level things are quite different for these two computers. I don't want to start a Windows PC vs Apple PC debate, but your comment about mac-books being the best laptops on the planet "hardware-wise" is a sad statement, and not true.

The following statement just screams(I hate using this word/s too) fan-boy.

"MacBooks are the best laptops on the planet, hardware and software wise. Sorry if you can't deal with that. "

lukey1990

Honorable
Jun 25, 2013

Haha. I'm not against using using abbreviations you know... I'm not an English expect, it's a pretty complex language. I only picked that out because it's humorous.

And yeah, saying they're the best laptops in the world may sound like a fanboy thing to say, if you think I'm incorrect post some evidence (I'm speaking generally, not for something like playing games, although openGL is brilliant).

Mac laptops are made from metal and glass. They don't bend when you pick them up by a corner, and the keyboards aren't like trampolines. The trackpads are second to none.

And it's not a huge deal if other people are too ignorant to check into it, but Windows is worse to use than Linux (Ubuntu etc) and OS X. Scrolling is a clear example of how much nicer OS X is to use, you don't lose your place when it jumps and you only wanted to move half a line up or down...

This isn't the 80s anymore, we expect computers to work without fairly regular reinstalls and be a pleasure to use. That isn't too much to ask.

Would you be okay with buying a car that has mechanical HVAC controls? No, because things improve and better stuff becomes the standard we expect.

Some of what you have said is true, the physical shell does look good, and is quality built for their mac-books, but so are many Windows laptops in same price range. Hardware wise, you can still buy laptops for just as much if not cheaper that are just as fast, if not faster.

In the end it's really a Windows vs OSX debate, comparing hardware wise is illogical, Apple obviously charges a brand name price mark-up too for hard-ware they use in their machines.(They are both normal PCS that run different operating systems in the end.)

I am not quite sure what you mean by Windows is worse to use then Linux or OSX. Do you mean Windows is unsafe, slower, and unreliable? -A fresh install of Windows with everything setup properly is solid, safe, and reliable. As I said previously, anything you need to do on a mac you can do on a PC just as well unless you need Apple specific software.

Both Windows and Macs have their places though. I am also just speaking generally too, I'd hate to turn this into pages of information here, but I think it will be a personal opinion at this point, some people love OSX, some love Windows, some love Linux. I like Windows/Linux personally, both very easy to use and I have control to do what I want instead of living in the walled garden of Apple.

For my opinion though, unless you really like OSX, you can do everything on a Windows PC well if not better.

Treshet

Honorable
Nov 12, 2013
All you guys are saying OSX is for retarded people, you're only saying that becauase you cannot afford to buy one. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.