[SOLVED] Mac Pro slow Bootcamp boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

halcyon

Splendid
I'm using a Mac Pro with 6-core W3680 Xeon and a couple of an OCZ Vertex 2 SSDs...one of which is home to Windows 7 64-bit for BootCamp. While it continues to boot into OS X 10.6.6 in the <15 seconds that seems appropriate for the hardware it seems to take a, seemingly, couple of minutes to ignite Windows 7 via BootCamp. Once finally ignited 7 seems to comes up quickly and perform as expected. One might think that the bios is having a hard time locating the Windows 7 OS?? Is the slow boot via BootCamp typical? Is there anything that I should check/change to significantly reduce its boot time? I may not get the <15 seconds that OS X offers but the minutes it takes to seemingly start the boot process seems odd.

...or is this a case of Apple prescribing "You should be using OS X, not Windows dummy! ...prepare to wait."

Solution
I blew the dedicated Windows 7 installation away. Wasn't really using it for gaming like I thought I might. ...and I still have my 7 (32-bit and 64-bit) VMs, so its all good.

crapfacednoob

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
Dunno but try updating the drivers installed in windows. Wherever that apple software update thing is, open it and check for update for the windows side. If there are updates for bootcamp on any of the windows or mac side install them, it might help

Otherwise you can try setting the windows partition to the default boot drive via the boot camp thing at the bottom right in windows.

Other than that my MacBook(late 2008) takes slightly over a minute to boot into windows so i really don't know why your mac pro can't beat that

mrvon42

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
You can fix the blinking cursor slow boot in Windows 7 by repairing the Master Boot Record.

1. Restart your computer into Windows.
2. While Windows is loading, press the F8 (play/pause) key about every second.
3. Select Recovery Mode and press Enter.
4. Click Repair your computer. (Command Prompt)
5. Select a language, a time, a currency, a keyboard or an input method, and then click Next.
6. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.
7. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt.

Type (these commands are safe)
Code: Bootrec.exe /FixMbr
Code: Bootrec.exe /FixBoot
Code: Bootrec.exe /RebuildBcd
*Press ENTER after each command.*
*Restart your computer.*

Status
Not open for further replies.