Discussion Mac vs. Windows

Ayrehead

Reputable
Feb 14, 2019
I'm planning to buy a new computer, either an iMac or Windows. Which will give me the least problems?

I'm technical and can troubleshoot problems, but i don't want to spend the time. I don't need a computer with high performance.

Reactions: JoeMcDonalds27

BadAsAl

Distinguished
I love the iMac, beatiful machine. Just keep in mind that all in ones like the iMac and there are also Windows ones typically are difficult to upgrade later. Also If you crack the screen it will be very expensive to fix. A desktop (Mac Mini, or tower PC) and monitor is great if you ever want to upgrade or find yourself in need of a new monitor.

spinningstill

Honorable
Jan 15, 2018
Macs are a higher standard of computer. Pc on the other hand are more widely used. Macs work better longer than pc's. It's one of those things that would you rather buy a car that you often have to work on or would you buy a car where you can drive it mostly and not be repairing it.

It also depends on what you will us it for. By example my daughter said she wanted a Mac for school. However, would not suggest that unless you have the budget for one. I use a Mac since I do photography. And Macs are simpler to use. I highly dislike the file structure on pc's, its horrible.

My wife uses a pc that keeps going and she is an accountant. Her Samsung laptop works well although I put an SSD, memory, and a new battery in it.

Some input. Blessings.

Asadumer

Commendable
Mar 14, 2017
overall MacBooks are more reliable and has less issues as compare to windows running laptops, here reliability means you won't have any drivers, software issue, your pc will be automatically updated with latest updates, it comes with the built-in operating system and some useful apps, you can use it straight out of the box.

Jack Skell

Commendable
Sep 14, 2016
What software will you need to run? That is the question. MS Office on Mac has slight differences from the windows version, for users using advanced features. Is there some industry software that you will need to run? The programs you need to use will determine your operating system.

D

Deleted member 14196

Windows 10 pro group policy options for allow you to stop updates. I KNOW this works because I use WIN10 VMs for testing, and I update them when I choose. I can't have an update going when I need to test something.

Last edited by a moderator:

mundial

Reputable
Dec 31, 2017
In terms of user satisfaction, Windows and OS are on a par now. This was not always the case.

However, you will find that the biggest grumble Mac users have about macOS is that they feel they paid too much for their system!

Apr 7, 2019
if you hava money to buy a mac then just go for that. i used windows for 23 years. What pissed me off were the updates that you needed to do.

Apr 12, 2019
If you want to buy a new laptop then i would suggest you to buy the macbook instead of windows laptop , as it features more liable and good after services. and will provide you great services and will less hang on heavy workload.

Ayrehead

Reputable
Feb 14, 2019
Thank you all for your advice. I also looked at the Consumer Reports website and they have ratings for many Windows computers and many Macs. The rating for "Owner satisfaction" is 3 out of 5 for all Windows machines and 5 out of 5 for all Macs. I decide to buy a Mac.

USAFRet

Titan
Thank you all for your advice. I also looked at the Consumer Reports website and they have ratings for many Windows computers and many Macs. The rating for "Owner satisfaction" is 3 out of 5 for all Windows machines and 5 out of 5 for all Macs. I decide to buy a Mac.
Is that for the hardware, or a combination of the hardware and the included OS?
I know many Apple people who are 100% satisfied with a Macbook from 2009. Simply due to the OS.

Under the hood, its the same CPU, the same hard drive, the same GPU.

The mac ecosystem is just a collection of appliances--from a single source. You buy it from Apple, you plug it in. You use it. When you need better-faster-more, you replace it.

The PC ecosystem is as organized as a basket of puppies.

Multiple manufacturers and vendors--for everything--and there is always a new market entry of varying levels of quality of product.
There are overlapping standards, and complex interactions between system components.
Operating System choices are also varied: You can go with windows which costs a lot, and sort-of works as long as you don't stress it too much. Or you can go with an Open Source OS which can range from easy to install, to you'd better be very well versed in the intricacies of hardware and software to wind up with a bullet-proof end result.
For systems, as a whole, there are innumerable integrators--from the corporate players, all the way down to "Heyuck! Imma gonna make me a pee sea today!"

It all depends on what you want.

In general, the PC platform is far more versatile and modifiable. You can get exactly what your needs demand...as long as you have the skillset to do it yourself, or the money to pay somebody else to do it for you. That being the case, a knowledgeable individual can build a solid, reliable system that meets all requirements, is subject to modification, and virtually never breaks itself.

In general, the mac platform is reliable--for obvious reasons--but is extremely restrictive for those used to a more Open Hardware philosophy. And it is EXPENSIVE from the outset.

If your needs are modest, and lean in the direction of reliable and "non-fiddly", then you should go with some variety of mac.

If you want a system that requires less capital outlay, but may demand more technical knowledge and experience from you, to customize it to your particular needs, then go with a PC platform, and choose your OS direction.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Windows PCs cover a wide range of price points, including budget units that will have comprises and cut corners by necessity to meet a certain budget. Apple only makes expensive, premium products. It doesn't surprise me that taking average across the whole range of Windows machines, which would include the budget units, would result in a lower score than for Macs.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
It’s more stable. It simply doesn’t crash anywhere close to a Windows PC. In fact in 2.5 years of having my MacBook I have not once had a full system crash. I’ve had the odd app that needed a “Forced Quit” but that too has been rare. I have switched to using macOS at home and Windows 10 for work. It really is night and day.
Do people really still have issues with crashes on win 10? I can't remember the last time I had a full system crash/BSOD (other than one that's a result of tweaking/overclocking). Don't remember it being much of an issue with Win 7 or 8 either.

Maybe IT just did a crappy job configuring your work PC. I know that seems to be the case with my work PC, where I regularly have issues I've never seen at home.

D

Deleted member 14196

In over several decades I have never had a single windows machine crash. If your windows is crashing you don’t know how to set it up. Lenix or macOS is not more reliable it’s just BS and it can’t be proved. What can be proved is that people don’t know how to configure windows plain and simple

Reactions: Amandafried
In over several decades I have never had a single windows machine crash. If your windows is crashing you don’t know how to set it up. Lenix or macOS is not more reliable it’s just BS and it can’t be proved. What can be proved is that people don’t know how to configure windows plain and simple
I have literally just spent a full day and a half trying to fix my PC after it crashed every 15 minutes, I ended up having to fix windows from a USB then upgrade it back to the latest version after checking memory and disk, taking everything out, swapping my dimms around, swapping power cables etc. Was a nightmare. You’re very lucky never to have a windows crash they’re very common. I’ve left the same PC on for 2 weeks without issue but sometimes windows will be windows.

Funnily enough I’ve never had issue with my MacBook. Never had to restart for something not working in the taskbar, it freezing or anything.

D

Deleted member 14196

why didn't you just create a usb with the latest windows? anyway, good day, don't care. I have problems with hardware, not windows. it must be user induced.