Discussion Macbook Air 13" or Macbook Pro 13"

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Macbook Air 13" or Pro 13"

• Macbook Air 13"

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Macbook Pro 13"

Votes: 13 81.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

halcyon

Splendid

I couldn't agree more.

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
It is pathetic how slow the students are in the states today in reading.Instead of the stupid internet and texting always pick up a book and read and learn the use of words and what they mean.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

Lol, I feel kind of old bashing the youth nowadays, but it's true... most of the youth my generation onwards doesn't read books at all. And then they don't believe how fast I read and complain when a literature teacher expects us to read 50 pages for tomorrow... :D

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador

Oh, Linux is outlawed here. It's a Microsoft + Adobe ecosystem here in the NSW public education system. All school laptops are made by Lenovo and all of them run Windows 7, Internet Exploder 7, Office 2010 and the Adobe suite.

Our software ends up being so outdated, last year our laptops used such an old version of Flash that our computer skills test had to be postponed because none of the laptops could run the department's tests. 'Cept my laptop of course.

Oh I have friends at private schools here in Australia who force students to buy Mac laptops off the school so they can install webcam and on-screen monitoring software.

Or better just don't use a laptop. Principals either don't know or don't care about computers.

While I'm on a ranting-roll I will point out that most schools force M$ Office onto their students. 'Cept in France. They use LibreOffice.

Here, we all use state-funded Lenovo laptops. The state gave me a Lenovo s10e and a ton of proprietory software.

Then so much tracking software the CPU idles at 100% and the RAM usage is 1.5GB/2GB after startup.

They should sack whoever thought it was a good idea to spend about $2000+ on each laptop to include Preimere and 3d rendering applications on a laptop with a single-core Atom.

Then probited the use of Blender. Because 3DS Max is going to run so well on an Atom.

But I digress.

Most schools with computers do.

Yeh, well I connected to our state-filtered Wi-Fi. Then installed appropriate software onto my netbook. ;)

By breaking school rules I gained the following even with the famous Linux power regressing kernel, I only doubled the battery life of the netbook, slashed boot-up time by a third, reduced RAM after boot to 123MiB, don't see ads and ultimately get work done on my laptop.

No more tracking via webcam (because I couldn't get the driver running, but I digress ;) )

Very true with the state of Australia schooling.

In a nutshell, we suck.

Honestly, Asian migrants come here take the highest level of maths and still find it easier than in Korea or China.

That's why I'm a liberal-arts kinda person.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
So in a nutshell, you have it good.

I would recommend the Macbook Pro 13" on the basis it has more ports.

At some point you are going to want ethernet I would presume.

The Air requires some planning. Do I need a DVD drive? Do I need ethernet? Can I run everything off my USB ports?

The Pro is safe option. More features.

I would personally get the Pro 15" Anti-glare high-res, just because I find glossy screens terrrible to do work with. I used to have a Macbook 13" and got sick looking at it. Hence the Lenovo x120e.

If you are highly mobile Wi-Fi warrior, please, by all means buy a Macbook Air. Just be aware that you do have tradeoffs.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
That rant was righteous. iApprove

Wow, Australia sucks. Looks like my university plans there are getting canceled :D Or does that BS only happen in schools? Atom really needs to die, Celeron M was soooo much better... and loading all that consumptive software onto there is just sick.

Why all the tracking software, though? :heink:

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
Oh just high school.

They don't want you Facebooking.

Or doing work for that matter.

They have filters on the laptop so you can only access approved sites.

Like wikipedia, the website they tell us never to use.

Even at home.

Once it blocked its own website.

It's a slow process of whitelisting.

Sourceforge, Yahoo, Bing, most forums, Linux websites, cnet, youtube, flickr and all non-state email is blocked. Keystrokes are monitored and .exe files are fobidden. I guess they just spent all the CPU time preventing people from using the laptop for other purposes, nobody uses the school laptop.

'Cept me.

But I am different.

Our only I.T teacher which I am friends with agrees with me on this point. Has Linux Mint on his laptop.

Yes, teachers break the state school rules.

But if it takes 20 minutes to startup properly after installing updates you never asked for, can you still teach a lesson?

And if it takes just that long to open a bloated Office 2010.

Isn't it just better to KISS.

Wouldn't mind if the state gave us all Windows XP + Office 97 netbooks with Chrome, Firefox, Opera or even Safari.

Then again I have Linux.

We could have seen some truly amazing user customisation. You can never impose a workflow on a techie, they will get something done the way they want to, with the software they want.

www.tale.edu.au/tale/live/global/DERNSW/models.jsp

I have the 2009 model with 2011 software. Most people have the 2009 model.

All to do with rollouts.

2011 hardware isn't bad.

But we digress.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

The f!ck... speak about police state...

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
The United States is turning into a police state which is sad.

halcyon

Splendid

You all are right. Close the thread... AMDfangirl, nice avatar. :ouch:

All four of my kids went to a private school ... hence no Porsche for me.

All of them required Macs ... I like the pro as it has more expandability and it is quite robust ... in answer to the thread.

Macs are common in the private schools as they seem quite easy to manage the lease and repairs etc ... also seems to be fewer problems with viruses.

My eldest son works at a private school now and he is in the IS area ... they have Toshy laptops instead.

In talking to the two IS managers the Apples are easier to manage ... the Toshiba strategy is a bit cheaper with the software licenses included for major educational applications.

I'll leave the thread open for others to comment ... providing it doesn't derail to the point where Hitler, Jobs, Republicans, or Gadaffi is mentioned, or anyone starts poking anyone in the eye.

:)

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
At least you are to the point and honest what you say in your post.What do you think about the new MBP update yesterday? I own the 2011 MBP 13inch 2.3 would you go for the new one if you were me? thanks marv

Marv I have a 13" 2011 Macbook i5 and a 13" 2009 Macbook core2duo.

The kids complain about neither of them ... the latest one has a much better battery but I honestly couldn't tell you if that is because of the age of the machines or the i5's lower power draw on idle.

I don't like using them on the off chance i get infected ... you saw what happened to that other guy eh?

;)

halcyon

Splendid

I had a 2011 11" and 13" Air back in early summer when I was trying to decide on my portable machine. They seemed quite snappy to me. I'm not a gamer though. I ended up with a 15" MacBook Pro. While I like the Air I wouldn't recommend as a replacement for Marv's existing 13" Macbook Pro. Again, just doesn't seem to be enough benefit to be worth any extra expenditure.

Hey ... little side question ... does the Momentus XT make much of a difference on your Macbook?

I have one in my other PC ... often wondered if I should have put it into one of the laptops instead ...

halcyon

Splendid

It does seem to make my little MacBook more peppy. It boots pretty quickly and programs seem to launch pretty quick...I like it.

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
Someone wants to buy my MBP 13inch for $116.00 cash. I was thinking of buying the new MBA 13 inch.What would you do? thanks Marv Iam not a gamer at all.

halcyon

Splendid

Marv, I know you didn't ask me, but I've got to interject. If you're laptop is in great working condition you than you can do better than $116. Heck, I'll buy it for that, who wouldn't?

Status
Not open for further replies.