News MacBook Air Gets New Keyboard, Ice Lake, Starts at $999

cyrusfox

Distinguished
This appears to be a big win for Intel on Ice lake. Surprised really to see it as it seems all the premium designs are sticking with comet lake on mobile and pushing high clock speeds.
Maybe 10nm is finally going to make a proper debut. Can't wait to see the teardowns on the new air, Guess ram is still going to be soldered in place, but wonder on the SSD, whether that can be swapped out or if it has some encryption locking chip that forces Only Apple storage(Latest mac pro seems to suggest apple is locking more and more of the hardware down).

This appears to be a big win for Intel on Ice lake. Surprised really to see it as it seems all the premium designs are sticking with comet lake on mobile and pushing high clock speeds.
Maybe 10nm is finally going to make a proper debut. Can't wait to see the teardowns on the new air, Guess ram is still going to be soldered in place, but wonder on the SSD, whether that can be swapped out or if it has some encryption locking chip that forces Only Apple storage(Latest mac pro seems to suggest apple is locking more and more of the hardware down).
Previous airs had soldered SSD and t2

cyrusfox

Distinguished
Previous airs had soldered SSD and t2
Lame, last air I was looking at I believe 2013, didn't have NVME but a similiar standard (early PCIE ssd AHCI weirdness) and was upgradeable with a few hoops to jump through. I shouldn't be surprised, these are just permanent configs and the masses are fine with that so I should stop caring.

TRENDING THREADS