[SOLVED] Macbook Air vs Macbook Pro

caapac

Reputable
Jun 5, 2016
Hi,

I'm looking for a new laptop for (electrical engineering) college.

I already have a 3 year old gaming desktop, which isn't slow by any means, so I could buy the laptop as a secondary device.

I'm choosing between an entry level macbook air and the new macbook pro 13 with upgraded ram and storage - it is substantially more money (1300eur vs. 2000eur).

With air, because of the dual core processor, I don't want to drop any more money than entry level model costs.

Another (better than air?) option is the old macbook pro that now costs the same as air.

Would 8gb of ram and a dual core sufice for the next 5 years studying electrical engineering?

Or is it a better idea to grab a pro with more power or would that power just be wasted?

I don't care about the touchbar, just better processor and screen.

Solution
Get the older Macbook Pro 13.

It is more powerful any Macbook Air 13 in existence.

It has i5-7260U with superior integrated graphics compared to the Macbook Air 13 2017 and 2018 with i5-8210Y and UHD 617, but battery life is 2 hours less.

RAM is not upgradable in macbooks. Storage, may be.
Lugging a laptop along with all those books, I want the lightest possible. School work doesn't take any power. The only thing that bothers me is whether I want to get anything less than a retina at this point. Apple sells an Air-like retina, I'd probably go with that.

Sagar_20

Distinguished
Get the older Macbook Pro 13.

It is more powerful any Macbook Air 13 in existence.

It has i5-7260U with superior integrated graphics compared to the Macbook Air 13 2017 and 2018 with i5-8210Y and UHD 617, but battery life is 2 hours less.

RAM is not upgradable in macbooks. Storage, may be.

Last edited:
Solution