[SOLVED] MacBook Pro 15" 2.0GHz vs. 2.3GHz for video editing HD YouTube clips

Status
Not open for further replies.

alenlav

Reputable
May 1, 2014
Hello guys,

I'm looking forward to buy a late 2013 Macbook Pro 15" that I will use for video editing HD clips about 5-10min in lenght and I was wondering which of the two is a better choice since the difference in the price is quite big in Europe.
The 2.0Ghz 8GB RAM model is $2500 while the 2.3Ghz 16Gb model is $3650 .
Beside video editing I will do also some work in Photoshop (not some crazy stuff though)

The question is will the 2.0GHz 8GB 256GB SSD model perform the task smoothly just like the 2.3Ghz one?
I will do work mainly Vegas and some After Effects. And probably Final Cut once I get familiar with it.

Thanks for your help!

Solution
I have a 15-inch, late 2011, MacBook Pro and it is great for editing video. It has a 2.4GHz i7 quad core processor and came with 4GB of RAM. I have modified it a little by upgrading the RAM to 16GB and replacing the optical drive with a 2nd storage drive. The 2.0 GHz processor should be fine for editing and you can upgrade the RAM cheaper by doing it yourself. I didn't buy the memory upgrade from Apple. I use Adobe CC products (Premiere Pro, After Effects, etc.) and am quite pleased with the performance. I don't think you will be able to tell much of a difference between the two (0.3 GHz) and you could take the savings and upgrade to 16GB of RAM and consider replacing the optical drive with a 2nd drive to use as a scratch disk or...

P Wheeler

Honorable
Jan 29, 2014
Yes the 2.0GHz MBP will do the job although not as well as the other. You could look at second hand as well, like an imac. Dont be fooled that second hand is bad, i have a 2007 macbook bought second hand in 2009 and it is very powerful. They are some things to consider. Personally i would go with a 2011 iMac 21.5inch. Let me know how you go!

I have a 15-inch, late 2011, MacBook Pro and it is great for editing video. It has a 2.4GHz i7 quad core processor and came with 4GB of RAM. I have modified it a little by upgrading the RAM to 16GB and replacing the optical drive with a 2nd storage drive. The 2.0 GHz processor should be fine for editing and you can upgrade the RAM cheaper by doing it yourself. I didn't buy the memory upgrade from Apple. I use Adobe CC products (Premiere Pro, After Effects, etc.) and am quite pleased with the performance. I don't think you will be able to tell much of a difference between the two (0.3 GHz) and you could take the savings and upgrade to 16GB of RAM and consider replacing the optical drive with a 2nd drive to use as a scratch disk or leave the optical drive in place and get an external thunderbolt drive to use as a scratch disk.

CPU comparison: http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/8/Intel_Core_i7_Mobile_i7-4750HQ_vs_Intel_Core_i7_Mobile_i7-4850HQ.html
http://www.game-debate.com/cpu/index.php?pid=1945&pid2=1912&compare=core-i7-4850hq-4-core-2-3ghz-vs-core-i7-4750hq-4-core-2-0ghz
http://us.hardware.info/reviews/4776/2/intel-iris-pro-5200-graphics-review-the-end-of-mid-range-gpus-intel-core-i7-4750hq

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.