Macbook Pro 15 inch OR i7 4790k GTX 970 build?

smilemore

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2015
Hey guys i'm curious to what to get for gaming and streaming. I could buy a macbook pro 15 inch or build my own pc. This is the build i would build if i went that route: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/F6Jbxr

I've always used a laptop, i never owned my own desktop pc. Are pre-built ones bad? Is it always way better to build your own?

The benefit of the macbook would of course be portability, is it worth it, or just build my own? I would use another monitor with the macbook pro for a dual display. If i built this pc build i would use a dual monitor display at 1920x1080 resolutions. What do you guys think the better buy would be? Build.. Base macbook model.. or high end macbook model?

Games i play: Runescape oldschool and RS3, Guild Wars 1 and 2, League of Legends, World of Warcraft and CS:GO.
Would the macbook or built system play all these games i play at high fps?
Is Intel Iris Pro graphics good enough to max the games i play? How much better is the nvidia GT 750m on the high end model?

Specs of base model 15 inch:
2.2GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
Turbo Boost up to 3.4GHz
16GB 1600MHz memory
256GB PCIe-based flash storage1
Intel Iris Pro Graphics
Total Cost: $1999

Specs of high end 15 inch:
2.5GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
Turbo Boost up to 3.7GHz
16GB 1600MHz memory
512GB PCIe-based flash storage 1
Intel Iris Pro Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M with 2GB GDDR5 memory
Built-in battery (8 hours)
Total Cost: $2499

Solution
Yea, then go with the PC. If you really need portability, the high end mac pro are good i guess. But my answer is: Get the Custom PC: You will be able to max games.
Well, do you need portability, if so, go with the high end laptop.

if you just need something to use, the desktop would be better.
But for streaming/Gaming, the desktop is the best way to go
Mind you, I based these opinions thinking you are gaming.

smilemore

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2015
Would a i5 4690k and GTX 960 max out Guild Wars 1 and 2, Runescape, League, World of Warcraft, and CS:GO and other console type games, if not console games, what about the MMOs i play? (while having TS, Itunes, Pandora, web browser, and Twtich tv up in the background of gaming). I could take out the SSD and i7 and 970 to lower the cost alot, but is it worth it? Is the 970 a lot better than a 960 or what?

The macbook (both models) would max these games i play?

BTW portability isn't needed, but it's nice to take a laptop places.

The Iris Pro 5200 on the MBP15 is horribly outdated and about the same speed as an nVidia 830m. The $500 Apple charged to upgrade to the 750m was pretty outrageous a year ago, and is even more ridiculous now. It's a really nice laptop, but simply isn't worth what they're charging.
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Iris-Pro-Graphics-5200.90965.0.html

Your budget is good enough for a high-end gaming laptop. Look at:

Razer Blade 14" 970m
http://www.anandtech.com/show/8951/razer-updates-the-razer-blade-with-more-ram-and-gtx-970m
Gigabyte P35X (980m) or P35W v3 (970m) 15.6"
Gigabyte P34W v3 (970m) 14" and less than 4 lbs
MSI GS60 (970m versions) 15.6", really nice screen and keyboard, sucky battery life.

All of these are quad core i7s in 4-5 pound packages like the MBP 15, but whose GPU will run circles around the MBP.