[SOLVED] Macbook pro 16 worth it right now?

MeNo_HuNt

Prominent
Jun 23, 2019
Hey.. Is it wort getting the Macbook pro 16" 2019 right now? Or should i wait for the 2020/21 model?

And will there even be a 2020 model now that we are almost through this year?

Thanks

Solution
It's not expected to be one of the first ARM models. That will likely be a Macbook or Macbook Air. Unless you need x86 support and don't need a new computer now. I'd wait for the ARM model. If Apple's history is anything to go by (68K > PPC, PPC > Intel). Current Intel models will have a protracted OS support life.

As for there being a 2020 model. It's tough to say. They did update the iMac after the ARM announcement. There could be one more revision of MBP with Comet Lake. Although there is no RDNA 2 mobile GPU yet. Perhaps Apple is waiting to do both. Then again they may just let the model sit.

If you need a new laptop now. Then now is a good time to buy. Otherwise I'd wait.

Edit: Also November is expected to be the month of the...
It's not expected to be one of the first ARM models. That will likely be a Macbook or Macbook Air. Unless you need x86 support and don't need a new computer now. I'd wait for the ARM model. If Apple's history is anything to go by (68K > PPC, PPC > Intel). Current Intel models will have a protracted OS support life.

As for there being a 2020 model. It's tough to say. They did update the iMac after the ARM announcement. There could be one more revision of MBP with Comet Lake. Although there is no RDNA 2 mobile GPU yet. Perhaps Apple is waiting to do both. Then again they may just let the model sit.

If you need a new laptop now. Then now is a good time to buy. Otherwise I'd wait.

Edit: Also November is expected to be the month of the Mac. Most likely introduction of ARM models. Which makes a new Intel MBP 16 unlikely this year. As they wouldn't want either announcement to detract from the other. Then again who knows. They may surprise us with an all ARM MBP lineup.

Last edited:
Solution

Edit: Also November is expected to be the month of the Mac. Most likely introduction of ARM models. Which makes a new Intel MBP 16 unlikely this year. As they wouldn't want either announcement to detract from the other. Then again who knows. They may surprise us with an all ARM MBP lineup.
I can see them holding off on the pro models for a couple of years, or at least the ones with dedicated graphics, let devs write software for ARM then just release a wave of iMac Pros and 16" Macbooks in say 2022/3

I can see them holding off on the pro models for a couple of years, or at least the ones with dedicated graphics, let devs write software for ARM then just release a wave of iMac Pros and 16" Macbooks in say 2022/3

Maybe. I'm thinking 2021 will see ARM models for every line. They'll just stop updating the Intel models and keep them available for purchase through the end of 2022. For those who can't yet use the ARM architecture but need a new Mac. Mostly Pro models.

Some Intel lines may still get a 2021 Intel update. Although I'm having a hard time coming up with a plausible model to get a new Intel Generation. Maybe the 27" iMac and 16" MBP. That's about it. I certainly can't see the iMac Pro or Mac Pro getting an update before they move to ARM. Except some new GPU options for the Mac Pro.

Looking at the current ARM models. The Thunderbolt port looks to be the biggest stumbling block. As it only supports one DP stream instead of the standard two (meaning only one monitor supported per thunderbolt port which is a big downgrade). I'm hoping the next gen chip for the other models will support dual displayport streams per thunderbolt and dual thunderbolt controllers for the higher end models.

I'm just wondering if it will scale to the Mac Pro. Can their chip scale up to support 40+ PCIe 4.0 lanes? They've got the engineering resources and money to figure it out. But how much are they willing to put into a niche line?

Maybe. I'm thinking 2021 will see ARM models for every line. They'll just stop updating the Intel models and keep them available for purchase through the end of 2022. For those who can't yet use the ARM architecture but need a new Mac. Mostly Pro models.

Some Intel lines may still get a 2021 Intel update. Although I'm having a hard time coming up with a plausible model to get a new Intel Generation. Maybe the 27" iMac and 16" MBP. That's about it. I certainly can't see the iMac Pro or Mac Pro getting an update before they move to ARM. Except some new GPU options for the Mac Pro.

Looking at the current ARM models. The Thunderbolt port looks to be the biggest stumbling block. As it only supports one DP stream instead of the standard two (meaning only one monitor supported per thunderbolt port which is a big downgrade). I'm hoping the next gen chip for the other models will support dual displayport streams per thunderbolt and dual thunderbolt controllers for the higher end models.

I'm just wondering if it will scale to the Mac Pro. Can their chip scale up to support 40+ PCIe 4.0 lanes? They've got the engineering resources and money to figure it out. But how much are they willing to put into a niche line?
I’m sure they can release a M1X and Z variants for higher spec machines that are large with more I/O. Waiting for reviews but if the capabilities are even close to advertised (and Apple don’t generally over promise) then it’ll be interesting