MacBook PRO 90mb/s Windows Desktop 4mb/s WHY?

pikian

Commendable
Feb 26, 2018
Hello,

I recently built a new gaming desktop with a ASUS ROG STRIX motherboard with built in wi-fi. I recently moved to a new appartment that has fiber going. I am supposed to get 100mb/s up and down. However I haven't reached a higher number than 7mb/s on my desktop. Meanwhile I am getting 90 mb/s on my laptop (MacBook Pro 2014)

Does anyone have a clue what might be the problem here?

This is the motherboard I'm using:
ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-I Gaming - ITX / Z370

Thanks,

Seb

Solution
Did you hook up the antenna leads to the motherboard's built-in WiFi? Laptops mount the antennas in the lid (next to and above the screen). Unfortunately, desktop cases are made of metal so form a Faraday cage blocking out RF signals. Any WiFi card inside has to have antenna cables which go outside the metal case in order to receive a decent signal.

Also, be aware that your MBP has a 3x3 MIMO WiFi card and evidently your router does as well. That provides a 1300 Mbps WiFi connection, which after error correction coding yields about 90 MB/s max throughput. Most current WiFi devices are 2x2 MIMO (866 Mbps), so max speeds you'll see are closer to 40-50 MB/s.
Did you hook up the antenna leads to the motherboard's built-in WiFi? Laptops mount the antennas in the lid (next to and above the screen). Unfortunately, desktop cases are made of metal so form a Faraday cage blocking out RF signals. Any WiFi card inside has to have antenna cables which go outside the metal case in order to receive a decent signal.

Also, be aware that your MBP has a 3x3 MIMO WiFi card and evidently your router does as well. That provides a 1300 Mbps WiFi connection, which after error correction coding yields about 90 MB/s max throughput. Most current WiFi devices are 2x2 MIMO (866 Mbps), so max speeds you'll see are closer to 40-50 MB/s.

Solution