[SOLVED] Macbook Pro hard drive setup for Video Editing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hi,

I'm trying to speed up my Mid 2012 15" Macbook Pro up for video editing.

I've already done a bit, and this is what my specs are looking like currently:

• 16GB Ram
• 512GB Internal SSD
• 2.3GHz Intel Core i7
• NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 512MB

What I plan to do is buy a Thunderbolt external hard drive, possibly in a Raid0 (for my media) and then have an additional drive which acts as my Media Cache/ Scratch Disk.

My thought was about making this additional drive an SSD and putting it in the optical drive of my Macbook so that I don't have to worry about USB 3.0 speeds and the cost of buying a daisy chain-able hard drive.

My Macbook only has one Thunderbolt port, and I need to plug an external display in, so I need external drives with Thunderbolt loop throughs, so making the scratch disk internal is partly to save money.

So my question is whether or not putting another SSD in the optical drive of my Macbook is a good idea? Will it still get fast speeds? (I seem to remember reading somewhere that the optical drive Sata connection isn't as fast as the main hard drives).

Also if anyone has any other thoughts about turbo charging my video editing computer that would be awesome.

Many thanks,

Jamie

Solution
Test it and see. You can't boot from a drive in the optical bay (according to some sources), however I moved my boot drive to the optical bay and installed an SSD in the drive bay. I don't boot from the spinning drive but I use it as a full-time connected TimeMachine drive. Works very well. My backup drive goes with me everywhere and I don't need to cart an extra drive around. Copy speeds are also decent. So I'd say test it first.

Many times people will try things and it doesn't work for them and they assume it doesn't work. Then they post it in some forum and assumption becomes fact and people start repeating it. The reality is; it didn't work for THEM not that it doesn't work.

MacTech

Reputable
May 23, 2014
Test it and see. You can't boot from a drive in the optical bay (according to some sources), however I moved my boot drive to the optical bay and installed an SSD in the drive bay. I don't boot from the spinning drive but I use it as a full-time connected TimeMachine drive. Works very well. My backup drive goes with me everywhere and I don't need to cart an extra drive around. Copy speeds are also decent. So I'd say test it first.

Many times people will try things and it doesn't work for them and they assume it doesn't work. Then they post it in some forum and assumption becomes fact and people start repeating it. The reality is; it didn't work for THEM not that it doesn't work.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.