[SOLVED] MacBook Pro lag when idle

firelighter487

Prominent
Aug 18, 2019
My Mid-2012 MacBook Pro will experience a lot of lag if I leave it idle for a few minutes. like, I'll turn on the screensaver, go to the bathroom, come back and the screensaver will lag all over the place and it takes a few seconds for the password screen to come up if I press a key.

it also happens without the screensaver running. if I leave it for a while and come back the machine will be unresponsive for a few seconds when I move the mouse again etc.

during normal use the system is still very fast. I experienced slowdowns before due to a bad drive cable, but I ran a disk speed test and the drive speed is fine. I also have Macs Fan Control installed along with istatmenu's and the system goes to a max temp of about 60 degrees with the screen saver running when the lag begins. I have replaced the thermal paste in this Mac so it runs very cool.

I'm curious as to what this could be. I have Windows 10 installed as well via bootcamp and I haven't experienced the lag in Windows. so I don't think anything is wrong with my laptop, rather I believe it is a bug in Catalina. is there any fix for this? I disabled the "put hard disks to sleep when possible" thing in settings but that did nothing.

Solution
This sounds likely to be one of two things. First, check if you allow your disk to sleep on idle (on Mac it's System Preferences --> Energy Saver --> uncheck "Put hard disks to sleep when possible"). This is the most likely problem and you might want to look into quite a bit before worrying about what I say next.... Malware. It's a bit less likely to be malware, but running something when you're not looking which happens to slow your computer right when you return sounds like malware potential.

woutervdg629

Prominent
Mar 26, 2019
This sounds likely to be one of two things. First, check if you allow your disk to sleep on idle (on Mac it's System Preferences --> Energy Saver --> uncheck "Put hard disks to sleep when possible"). This is the most likely problem and you might want to look into quite a bit before worrying about what I say next.... Malware. It's a bit less likely to be malware, but running something when you're not looking which happens to slow your computer right when you return sounds like malware potential.

Solution