[SOLVED] MacBook Pro (late 2007)---Can't upgrade the ram in my

Status
Not open for further replies.

billshideler

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
Hello,

I just bought a used Mac Book Pro (Late 2007) with a Dual Core 2.4 Ghz cpu and 2 GB of Ram.

I went to my parts supplier yesterday to upgrade the RAM to 4 GB. He pulled out a matched pair of 2Gb that precisely match the chip in the computer.

I installed both, but the Mac Book would not boot. So, I removed the new ones and put the old ONE back in....Mac Book boots no problem!

So, I thought maybe there is something wrong with one of the slots. So, I took the chip out of the one slot and put it in the other.....Mac Book boots no problem.

So, I put the new RAM back in BOTH slots.....Mac Book would NOT boot.

So....the only conclusion I could come to is that the Mac Book will not boot with both slots filled with the Maximum 4 Gb of RAM.

Has anyone seen this problem before and if so, how do I fix it?

TIA

Bill

Hope this is the right forum ;)

Solution
I believe that particular model is limited to 2GB per slot, but it wouldn't hurt to try. Depending upon the OS the computer might only be able to use 3GB even if you put 4 in it.

2GB is actually quite a lot for a Mac of that vintage so it may be best to just stick with what you have. You could try memory from Crucial but I suspect you might find the same problem.
That MacBook should support 4GB. It's an unusual configuration at present as Apple normally sell 2GB as 2x1GB rather than 1x2GB (makes more money for them - at their very inflated memory prices - if you want to upgrade). It's possible that that means that there is a fault that prevents both slots working at once (it might have originally had 4GB, which would make sense).

Try both of the new DIMMs, one at a time, in the computer to see if each works on its own. If it does that would seem to confirm the possibility, in which case you might need to get Apple to look at it (or give up on the idea of upgrading). But if the new DIMMs don't work on their own then they are the wrong spec. In that case, return them and buy new memory from Crucial or Kingston. Their web sites include scanners that will look at your computer to determine exactly what memory it can take and offer you the appropriate upgrades. And they are probably cheaper than your local supplier.

billshideler

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
I'm sorry, I tried to be a specific as possible :) ....

But, I tried every possible configuration....New RAM in both slots, new ram in each one of the slots by itself. In all configurations with either the new RAM or the OLD RAM in ONE SLOT, the Mac Book boots without any problem.

If I add another 2 Gb chip to either of the remaining open slots....It will not boot. It is like there is something crossed with both slots filled.

In other words it will only boot with one slot containing memory.

Bill

That might explain the unusual configuration of 1 2GB DIMM. I suspect that the previous owner may have had a problem and had to remove one module to get it to work.

It certainly sounds strange that the RAM works individually but not together. I suppose it could still be a problem with the new memory. I think your best bet is to return the memory and get some from Crucial or Kingston. If that doesn't work then I think your going to have to get it looked at.

Don't worry about the previous post. Internet forums attract idiots with little to say.

billshideler

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011

Thanks for the answer....I really appreciate it. I have no need to return the RAM, since I tried all the configurations while I was standing at the counter :sol:

I was hoping someone could tell me how to fix it myself, since I am on Social Security and this purchase was really stretching my meager budget already.

Anyway, thanks for the support!

Bill

Branden

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009

you could try a single 4GB stick...

as a side note, 5 years is getting old for a computer, especially for a mac. (apple loves to push its own products into obsolescence quickly)

I believe that particular model is limited to 2GB per slot, but it wouldn't hurt to try. Depending upon the OS the computer might only be able to use 3GB even if you put 4 in it.

2GB is actually quite a lot for a Mac of that vintage so it may be best to just stick with what you have. You could try memory from Crucial but I suspect you might find the same problem.

Solution

billshideler

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011

After a little further investigation....The RAM that is installed in the one slot is a 4 Gig chip....but only 2 Gb is being utilized (as one would expect).

I am moving on from this and will just have to live with the 2Gb limitation. In fact, it seems to be working just fine as it is.

Thanks Everyone for your help and support....I very Much appreciate it!

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.