[SOLVED] Macbook Pro - MacOS Sierra update finishes but without updating OS

goal: Update MacOS from OS X El Capitan to Sierra

specs: MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012)

I downloaded the 5.01 GB MacOS Sierra installation directly from Apple. I ran the installation, and then the DMG file. I was then prompted to enter the computer password, but since it's blank, I simply hit enter. The installation proceeds and states that it's finished, but the OS never updates according to finder. My only guess is that perhaps the OS won't update with a blank computer password and requires that one be set? Any suggestions?

Solution
update: I did indeed update the OS to High Sierra, and my fear was confirmed, as it runs horrifically slow with only 4 GB of RAM (2GB x 2). Even before the OS update I recommended that the user update RAM and swap out 500 GB 5400 RPM HDD for SSD. However, now the performance is so dismal that I will strongly encourage him to immediately order a single 8GB DDR3 SODIMM from Crucial.com at a cost of $40.99 (free shipping). He'll need to swap out one of two existing 2GB DIMMs, and swap in the new 8GB chip, for a total of 10GB. It's not a gaming machine, so I'm not particularly concerned about breaking the dual channel configuration at this point.
update: I did indeed update the OS to High Sierra, and my fear was confirmed, as it runs horrifically slow with only 4 GB of RAM (2GB x 2). Even before the OS update I recommended that the user update RAM and swap out 500 GB 5400 RPM HDD for SSD. However, now the performance is so dismal that I will strongly encourage him to immediately order a single 8GB DDR3 SODIMM from Crucial.com at a cost of $40.99 (free shipping). He'll need to swap out one of two existing 2GB DIMMs, and swap in the new 8GB chip, for a total of 10GB. It's not a gaming machine, so I'm not particularly concerned about breaking the dual channel configuration at this point.

Solution