Question MacBook Pro OS X Yosemite Failed Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

HolyPurp

Reputable
Jun 11, 2014
Unable to complete my install because I dont have enough space on my HD, I tried to restart my laptop but I seem to be stuck in this loop on the OS X installer. Everytime I start my laptop it starts in the installer and im unable to get out of it.

How can I end this and start a regular boot so I can free up some space?

HolyPurp

Reputable
Jun 11, 2014

how can I get the live cd distribution?
And if I am not able to get it is there any other ways to solve this?

McHenryB

Admirable
Trying to use a Linux live CD on a Mac is not going to be an easy process. Try using OS X's Rescue Mode, which should allow you to open an OS X command prompt. You can then delete unwanted files or, better, move them to an external drive. You could even install a copy of OS X on an external drive.

http://osxdaily.com/2012/02/03/how-to-boot-into-os-x-lions-recovery-hd-partition/

HolyPurp

Reputable
Jun 11, 2014

I tried to delete some unwanted files and directories using the terminal but they did not delete.
Is there any other effective way

McHenryB

Admirable
Install OS X on an external drive. Then you can boot from that drive and clean up your hard disk. (Though I don't know why you couldn't delete the files usig the terminal, providing you are authorised to them; if not you may need to precede the delete command with "sudo". But you should be very careful that you don't end up deleting files that are necessary to the system.)

HolyPurp

Reputable
Jun 11, 2014

The installation was unsuccessful I tried twice each with 2 different external hard drives.
I even tried to make it bootable through using sudo to copy over files through the terminal but whenever I use sudo I receive the error "command not found" .
I was also unable to use sudo to delete directories to free up space i received the same error.

Still stuck at os x installation.

McHenryB

Admirable
My bad. Sorry, I realize now that if you are in the rescue environment you won't need "sudo" as you should already have all privileges. I just don't understand why you can't delete files and/or directories. What command line are you using?

HolyPurp

Reputable
Jun 11, 2014

ive been using rm, rmdir, rm -r, and rm -rf.

Status
Not open for further replies.