MacBook Pro Retina with Haswell-GT3 CPU Spotted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Estix

Honorable
Apr 12, 2012
The current 13" MBPs have no dedicated GPU, while the 15" ones have the nVidia chips.

Apple is generally using that to differentiate the two.

swordrage

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2012
So this might be the 13inch one as estix said and the 15inch version must have a dedicated gpu since stepping down performance from a gtx 650M in a next gen model will not make sense

JPNpower

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013
I'm uneasy with the path that Apple is taking. The MacBook pro and air were awesome. Then the new Retina series Pro's came around with no optical drive, and pretty much the exact same size as the air. Sooner or later the difference will be gone, for better or worse.

dsigned

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
The fact that you can only get a dedicated GPU with a MB pro 15 inch is a) making the whole Mac store in Steam thing pretty worthless and b) keeping me from buying a Mac for my next laptop. I love OSX and am not overly fond of Windows 8 (and I feel silly just sticking with 7), but I'm not going through another generation of having an underpowered computer for anything requiring a modicum of horsepower.

BringMeAnother

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012
At this point I might consider getting a Macbook pro for the high resolution and install Windows on it. I mean if Windows ultrabooks like the ATIV Book 9 Plus, Zenbook Infinity and Lifebook UH90 are going to be even more expensive than the Macbook pro, I might as well get the cheapest one. 1080p resolution just won't cut it for me anymore.

Ha, getting a Mac for the price, never though I'd say that.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
What distinguishes Iris Pro 5200 isn't the core count (HD5000 and Iris 5100 both have 40 EUs), but the 128MB of on-package eDRAM that serves as shared L4 cache for both the CPU and GPU. Anand did a review of the i7-4950HQ and Irs Pro 5200:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6993/intel-iris-pro-5200-graphics-review-core-i74950hq-tested

The performance is impressive, especially considering the 47W TDP of the total package. However Iris Pro isn't quite good enough to challenge the GT650M in current gen Retina Mac Book Pros. It's close, but I wonder if Apple is willing to sacrifice a little GPU performance in its top-end notebook, even if it means greatly improved battery life.

cmartin011

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
I havent been able to figure out why intel hasnt been able to make a integrated gpu as good as amd I am stumpt as tech know it all. Some one inform me

InvalidError

Titan

Same here.

Gaming probably accounts for less than 1% of the total time I have used my laptops and most of those times were little more than logging in to check raid schedules on my WoW characters and market while away from home.

rwinches

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
Def in the 15" version. Apple will want the extended battery run time available even in the higher TDP version. Remember they are holding hands for the time being.

quotas47

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
The 650M's are overrated.
Not to mention, they all use Nvidia's Optimus tech to switch between power.
Less cost in the device, less complexity, and Tom's (and other sites) have done enough news spots on the new 4th Gen Core chips that it sounds like you'd have to get a tower to really justify wanting to exceed the 5000 series graphics core in the new Haswells.

Nothing wrong with this. You won't be rendering on a normal card like a 650M anyway; the 650M is weaker than its desktop equivalent. the HD4000 from the 3rd Gen Core chips crunch through a few games more than adequately for Mainstream gaming and video display.
Tom's results have shown that the 4600s are better, and the 5xxx are even better.

Not a big deal.

nocturnal7x

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2008
Apple makes it really hard to buy their products. No where on the site can I find what processors are in what computers. They just say 2.4ghz 4th gen i5 ect ect. Im not gonna spend 1.5-2k on a computer if I don't know whats in it. Fucking stupid. Anyone know where to find out which processors are used in the 13" models? thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.