[SOLVED] MacBook Pro SSD Upgrade

Feb 6, 2021
I was wondering how difficult it would be to add an SSD drive to my MacBook Pro its an Early 2015 model with the following specs. Currently it only has the stock 125 GB storage drive it came with. I cannot install the latest OS update since I do not have enough storage. I have built my own desktop years ago and recently did a motherboard and CPU upgrade on it, but I have no experience opening or messing with a laptop. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you,

Model Identifier: MacBookPro12,1

Processor Name: Dual-Core Intel Core i5

Processor Speed: 2.7 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 2

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 3 MB

Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled

Memory: 8 GB

Solution
I was wondering how difficult it would be to add an SSD drive to my MacBook Pro its an Early 2015 model with the following specs. Currently it only has the stock 125 GB storage drive it came with. I cannot install the latest OS update since I do not have enough storage. I have built my own desktop years ago and recently did a motherboard and CPU upgrade on it, but I have no experience opening or messing with a laptop. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you,

Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled...

Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled

Memory: 8 GB

I helped a guy upgrade a MacBook Pro of a similar age with a new SSD... it's not that difficult, however you need to know that Apple don't use standard NVME drives in the MacBook Pro - it's a slightly different connector / interface so you need to purchase a compatible drive.

We were able to get a suitable drive and an external drive adaptor to house the old unit in order to copy everything over...

Here is a shop that sells compatible drives and external adaptors.
https://www.megamac.com/products/48...later-macbook-air-macbook-pro-owcs3dapt4mb05k

I remember I had to mess around for a while to get everything copied over correctly, here are some instructions on how to clone the drive:
https://eshop.macsales.com/guides/Cloning-Your-Data-to-a-New-Hard-Drive

Once you have the drive cloned it's then just a case of swapping the new drive into the machine in place of the original.

Solution