Question Macbook Pro White Screen

extraproblems

Distinguished
May 18, 2014
I'm hoping to get some insight on a friend's Macbook Pro issue. Forgive my ignorance, but I have zero experience in anything Mac related. My friend asked me to look at this Macbook Pro and I advised him that I could definitely Google the best I can.

This Macbook just gives me a white screen. I have tried holding Shift to get into safe mode. I have tried holding Command + R (which I have seen a lot) to try and reset it. Nothing seems to work. All I get is a white screen and a flashing folder with a question mark. I did try Command + Option + P + R and that just restarts it over and over. If I hit the Option button, I can get the cursor, but that's it. At one point, I did get a globe to rotate, over what looked like a hard disk icon maybe. I'm not surer what I did for that to happen. Can anyone point me in the right direction, or is my friend's Macbook Pro completely bricked?

Try to reset the SMC. The method varies by model and generation.

Since option key brings up something but no disk. While none of the other boot options worked. I'm thinking the SSD is dead. Try booting into internet recovery. This can take a long time to load, so be patient.

Option-Command-R for the latest compatible version to load from the internet.

Shift-Option-Command-R for the factory original version to download.

I'd do the latest version option. Although it sometimes may not download the latest.

extraproblems

Distinguished
May 18, 2014
Thanks for the reply velocity. I tried all the options for resetting the SMC, but all it did was bring me to the white screen with the flashing folder. I tried booting with the options you suggested (opt + cmd + R / shift + opt + cmd + R), but all I got was the white screen with the flashing folder. You mentioned that booting into the internet recovery can take a long time, once I get to the flashing folder do I keep holding the keys or no? I'm going to assume the drive may be dead as you mentioned.