MacBook Pro Won't Recognize Canvio 3TB External Hard Drive HDWC130XK3J1

benroger

Commendable
Jun 13, 2016
Hello everyone.

I just purchased a Canvio 3TB External Hard Drive (model HDWC130XK3J1) for use with a pair of MacBook Pro computers (bought circa 2010). I bought this drive because I have another Toshiba HDWC130XK3J1--at least it appears to be identical-- that works perfectly with both computers for the last two years.

While the blue light does turn on, neither computer will recognize the new Toshiba drive. I have checked for the drive using the Disk Utility program. In fact, I do not ever hear the hard drive whirring. The old drive still works perfectly with both computers. I have also mixed and matched USB and power cables with no different results.

Any suggestions to get this new drive to work?

Solution
If it's not even spinning up, then I think you've already identified the problem. It's rare for a Toshiba to fail, but it does happen.

Try using the drive on another computer, perhaps a Windows one, and see if it works. Put your ear right up to it and listen to hear if it's spinning up. Could be that the USB to SATA bridge board just cooked from a power surge. It's also worth noting that some externals don't actually spin up until they detect the USB connection. So if the cable or USB port is bad, they don't spin up.

JaredDM

Honorable
If it's not even spinning up, then I think you've already identified the problem. It's rare for a Toshiba to fail, but it does happen.

Try using the drive on another computer, perhaps a Windows one, and see if it works. Put your ear right up to it and listen to hear if it's spinning up. Could be that the USB to SATA bridge board just cooked from a power surge. It's also worth noting that some externals don't actually spin up until they detect the USB connection. So if the cable or USB port is bad, they don't spin up.

Solution
Welcome to the TH Community, Ben!

I'd definitely agree with @Jared on this one. Unfortunately, you might actually be dealing with a faulty external drive since both MacBooks don't detect the device properly. Since it's rather new, you should be able to send it back for RMA and get a replacement from the reseller or from the HDD manufacturer. If swapping the cables didn't help the HDD to be detected in Disk Utility there's not much troubleshooting you can do by yourself. I'd definitely not take the drive out of its original enclosure as it will void the warranty! Better take it back and get a replacement.

Best of luck! :)
SuperSoph_WD

benroger

Commendable
Jun 13, 2016
Thanks for the quick answers. I suspect you guys are correct. I'm going to test the drive on a PC and another Mac today before I start the arduous process of returning the damnable thing.

Do you guys have any recommendations for external HDs for Macs? I'm actually interested in transferring hard-to-replace media files from my working Toshiba Canvio drive to a second backup drive.