MacBook Pros Plagued With Keyboard, Trackpad Problems

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

burkhartmj

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012

I'm conflicted. I want to rip this post apart, but I don't want to engage with an ignorant troll.

laseru

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009

It's not stuck I do it on purpose, because I see so many idiots speaking about something they obviously don't know. But I understand your joke, it's subtle for 90's

cbfelterbush

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011
The biggest issue with Laseru's comment is that he assumes that everyone who purchases MAC wins because they come away with better hardware than a PC. However when somebody spends the same amount of money on a PC as one would on a MAC the PC is simply better. But it requires one to purchase the right PC as there are many options. Something like the Samsung Ativ Book 9 Plus is vastly better than any current MAC laptop option. Just the facts. Samsung makes the best components that Mac uses, why would anyone believe that a Chinese third party slave labor ODM like Foxconn would build something better than the First Party manufactures flagship is just ludicrous. Measure flagship to flagship, and since a Macbook Pro with Retina is apples flagship compare it apples to apples and the Samsung flagship is better every time.

2560*1600 next to 3200*1800, and the Samsung is the ultrabook sort and much thinner than the MAC pro. More like an apple Macbook Air with Retina, and with m.2 SSD. Sorry the MAC simply cannot compare. Do market recearch and look at least a Layer deep in all electronic purchases. Know who is Really making the hardware. -CB

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
burkhartmj, I think this is really unfortunate and based on what you said, if I felt that way I would probably not like Apple either. I guess this is part of the reality of marketing. There is always a side that likes it and the messaging appeals to them and the other side that are seeing it a different way.

I have been on both sides from a user perspective. I have never heard or have seen (not once) a Mac person looking at or acting like they are better just because they owned a Mac. It actually sounds silly to me and the people who do that should probably get a life. Most Mac users are happy with their chosen platform and as a community they do like to talk about why they like it. I do not think that is a problem but I do understand how it can get on some peoples nerves especially when they already have a strong preference.

I can say however that I have heard comment after comment both online and in public where a person that prefers a PC poke fun at Mac's and mac users. This site is a great example of that. Even when I was a PC only guy and hated Macs (for no other reason than I built my own machines) there was a Mac vs PC debate and people just picked sides. There are still people on this very site using the 1 button mouse argument against Mac's and Mac users. You have any idea how old that is? Very..

I have found most hate because it is popular too and very few have a reason based on the technology itself. Is Apple perfect....absolutely not. Do they have some questionable business practices.....yep. Do they make good stuff.....yep. If you where to ask the same questions of Samsung, Sony, Google and the rest you would have the exact same answers. The difference is that Apple is odd man out of the bunch in that they do their own thing with their own OS on their own hardware and market the hell out of it.

I personally really like Windows 7/8. I am typing this message on my gaming machine now. But I have learned over the years that all the arguments that I had against the Mac back in the day was really because I did not have at the time allot of good information about how to do the things that I liked to do on it. So naturally I just picked sides. But it had nothing to do with someone acting superior or anything.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009

Here you go.

NTFS: Go to search and type term. Now sudo nano /etc/fstab and in the file LABEL=NAME none ntfs rw,auto,nobrowse, hit control O to save the file and Control-X to exit. Unmount the drive and plug it back it. Wala, read/write support on NTFS.

Closed Laptop: Works fine, plug your power adapter, monitor, keyboard and mouse in and you are good to go. Called clamshell mode by the way. See http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3131 if you need help. too much to type. Here is a nice little verticle doc for Mac's that supposedly don't close and keep working. http://www.hengedocks.com/ . Wonder how they stay in business.

Media file editing:
Your issue is with final cut pro. Not all software is going to support all formats. Did you use final cut pro on your PC? No..because it is not made for PC. So just use software that supports your use case. Not an issue with Mac. This is a issue with the software you are trying to use work with a specific file format. You can covert it to mov, avi, m4p or whatever you want to use then work with it or pick a different video editing software. Not like you don't have a bagillion options.

Your idea of BASIC things are skewed based on your personal experiences. To me and many others, everything you just mentioned is seriously basic. Nothing complicated at all. You say stuff like No External software and then you speak of Final Cut Pro X which does not come with the OS. So you are telling me you are doing video editing with Windows Media?

Cmon bro. You don't have to be fair but please at least be realistic. NTFS, is supported by default by OSX just read/write is not enabled by default. Only Read. NTFS is a windows proprietary file system. Take a look at how Windows supports NFS volumes. It is not exactly front and center either. Also, OSX runs on HFS+ and guess what...Windows has zero support for it. Can't even read it.

Hope this helps..;-) Now maybe you can use your box you spent all that money on. It really is a good machine.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009

Read the whole post. He is just making a point. Allot of people do complain about the price of Apple computers. He is not saying that everyone that does not like Mac can't afford one. Maybe he could have worded it a bit better but his statement in general is about his experience with Apple thus far. He is not bashing the PC.

cbfelterbush

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011
The biggest issue with Laseru's comment is that he assumes that everyone who purchases MAC wins because they come away with better hardware than a PC. However when somebody spends the same amount of money on a PC as one would on a MAC the PC is simply better. But it requires one to purchase the right PC as there are many options. Something like the Samsung Ativ Book 9 Plus is vastly better than any current MAC laptop option. Just the facts. Samsung makes the best components that Mac uses, why would anyone believe that a Chinese third party slave labor ODM like Foxconn would build something better than the First Party manufactures flagship is just ludicrous. Measure flagship to flagship, and since a Macbook Pro with Retina is apples flagship compare it apples to apples and the Samsung flagship is better every time.

2560*1600 next to 3200*1800, and the Samsung is the ultrabook sort and much thinner than the MAC pro. More like an apple Macbook Air with Retina, and with m.2 SSD. Sorry the MAC simply cannot compare. Do market recearch and look at least a Layer deep in all electronic purchases. Know who is Really making the hardware. -CB

cbfelterbush

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011

What I don't get are people who buy Macs then put and mainly use Windows when its better to just get a lower cost but better power laptop.

And you are pretty spot of. XP was designed a long time ago so it really doesn't know what to do with current hardware.

XP runs great on 1GB of RAM and really can't tell the difference between 1GB or more. 7/8 can run on 1GB but for best performance you want 4GB minimum. XP doesn't utilize multiple cores very well, it loads the first then second etc. while 7/8 loads each core as evenly as possible.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009

Samsung does not make all of their components that go into their laptops.

Apple uses screens from Samsung and I agree, they are the best until at least the new IGZO's come out.
Your statement that Samsung's laptop at the same price point is not factual at all. I am not saying which is better but to suggest that they are better because they put their own laptops together is a false statement.

The only laptop that I have found to match the overall build quality of the MPB is the Lenovo Thinkpad. In fact looking at the Samsung you mentioned the only thing that it has on the MBP is the resolution of the display. I am sure it is a fantastic machine but as a total package it is no where near conclusive.

Also, Samsung's support has historically been some of the worst in the industry. The same can not be said for Apple.

Blazer1985

Honorable
May 21, 2012
From ap3x: "NTFS: Go to search and type term. Now sudo nano /etc/fstab and in the file LABEL=NAME none ntfs rw,auto,nobrowse, hit control O to save the file and Control-X to exit. Unmount the drive and plug it back it. Wala, read/write support on NTFS."
Oh that is so practical :-D
Clamshell mode is fine, you just need to be plugged into a wall, with a usb mouse and keyboard and attached to an external screen... I was just talking about the OPTION they don't give you to simply don't go in standby when I close the lid.
Fcpx is not part of osx, is made by apple and it is famous for being extremely strict on the file formats.
Just to prove the point written in the TL/DR :)
Beside that selling components that for heat / throttling problems you can use only at 50% of their potential should be called FRAUD.

Seen much worse when it comes to laptops thanks to my hobby. Macbooks are ok and I like how they look but greatly dislike that the bodies are so flimsy. The denting on a lot of macs is one of the greatest weaknesses in addition to their internal design being restricted in a way that the vast majority of people are forced to go to the apple store if there is an issue. HP laptops are the Worst that anyone can buy due to the build quality and bloatware that comes with the unit. Toshiba does make some Good machines but a lot are complete butt wipe. The older style Dells and current gen Alienware machines are good as it gets from Dell.

Thinkpads from the T60 on up are built the best and can handle drops much better than most without damage or cosmetic defect.

Laptops in my collection range from Macbook pro all the way to Clevo/Sager. The reason why I have so many is that each machine cost me barely nothing at a local scrap shop. Landed a Sony Vaio with an i7 quad for only $20 that turned up working but missing a few things.

g-unit1111

Titan

First off, easy on the caps lock and put down the coffee.

Second, what do you mean by "changed the entire screen"? Please elaborate.

onichikun

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009

Guessing he means that they replaced the entire screen assembly since it was covered under the grace period.

They had to replace the entire screen because mac's are not meant to be repaired lol :) Not a bad thing mind you, I gladly would sacrifice repair-ability for portability and more battery life.

onichikun

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009

Well you sounded like a legitimate Apple hater there for a second until you made it obvious you were trying to be "creative".

I've tried a lot of laptops. A LOT. My last favorite laptop was an IBM Thinkpad T42. Amazing machine. Could take a sledge hammer and survive. Loved it. Then Lenovo came along and ruined it.

Tried a dell -- felt too plastic-y for my taste. Crappy keyboard, touch pad.
Tried an Acer -- keyboard felty like crap.. build was a little better.. screen was horrible.
Tried a Lenovo X1 carbon... was so excited, but the screen was horrible, battery life lack-luster, and there was build quality issues like seams in the case not fitted properly

Anyways, I got my GF at the time a macbook... That machine was built well.. and she used it for years with no issues.. I even borrowed it a few times... Love the OS with BASH, without all the problems that come with KDE and GNOMe and other open-sources WMs. Anyways, I like Mac books.. If anything better ever comes along, I'll switch.

baoson

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012
My co-worker bought a brand new rMBP 15 decked out with the top spec at the time, came with extended apple care, totaling over $4k. After having it for a few days, he complained about a dead pixel on his beautiful screen. So Apple replaced the screen for him. Just a few weeks ago, he asked me to work on his MBP and I pointed out to him that his new screen now have 3 dead pixels. LOL, those retina screens are not lasting long.

Also, this guy wanted to play games on his rMBP because he saw me play games on my Dell M4700. So I installed some games for him. He fired one of the games up and within 15 minutes, his rMBP reports temperature nearing 95 celcius on his Nvidia GPU. On the other hand, my M4700 is just chilling at around 60 celcius on its Quadro K2000M for over 3 hours of constantly gaming. I told him to quit the game before his MBP gets on fire.

BTW, for those who doesn't know, if you buy a Dell precision laptop, it comes with Dell onsite warranty. That means, Dell will have technician to come to your place for any thing, including replacing the screen. You don't have to drive your car down to an Apple store. Fortunately, I haven't had a chance to use my Dell warranty yet on my M4700. But my co-worker is about to make another trip to the Apple store for the 3rd retina screen.

onichikun

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009

Well more pixels mean higher probability of having a dead pixel :)

Indeed use cases are different for different people. Playing games may not be the bestg on a MBP, but it makes one helluva work laptop. In terms of overheating though, those temps are a bit ridiculous. The CPU would have throttled before it got to 95C

Blazer1985

Honorable
May 21, 2012
So if you can dissipate the heat coming from (let's say) a 630m why are they charging for a 650m that you can't use (or throttles down till is on par with the 630m)? Isn't that a fraud? And I'm not only talking about apple products.

onichikun

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009

It's only fraud if they lie about it... its just playing on consumer ignorance. Usually they use marketing terms like "advanced power management!" to justify it.

truerock

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
http://www.pcmag.com

Samsung Fined $340K for Fake Online Comments Targeting HTC

By Chloe Albanesius

October 24, 2013 02:15pm EST

Taiwanese officials this week handed down a $340,000 fine against Samsung for waging what they considered to be an unfair online campaign against HTC devices.

As noted by the BBC, Samsung allegedly hired an advertising firm that paid students and bloggers to write posts and comments online that praised Samsung's products but were critical of gadgets from rival HTC.

The advertising firm, OpenTide Taiwan, was also fined just over $100,000. It reportedly provided regular reports about its activity to Samsung, so the Korean phone maker knew about the campaign, BBC said.

"We are disappointed that the Taiwan FTC has decided that we have violated the Fair Trade Act based on online marketing activities. However, we remain committed to engaging in transparent and honest communication with consumers," a Samsung spokeswoman said in a statement. "Samsung Electronics Taiwan is carefully reviewing the decision and will take all necessary steps to protect our reputation as a company which values its customers. Samsung Electronics Taiwan will continue to provide exceptional value for consumers in Taiwan through a wide variety of innovative products and services."

An HTC spokesman said that "as this is a legal matter between Samsung and the Taiwanese government, we will opt not to comment."

It's been a bit of a rough week for Samsung. It also had to issue an apology to Chinese customers after an investigation found that some of its smartphones were faulty.

Status
Not open for further replies.