MacBook Shopping - Best Bang for my Buck?

Sep 7, 2018
I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a used/refurbished MacBook that I will be using solely for video editing/managing my wix website. My budget is $1000 with Final Cut 10 included. I currently do all my video editing off my family’s Mac with FCPX so I would like to stick with Mac/FCP. The highest quality footage I’m currently editing is 1080p GoPro Hero 5 footage.

I don’t know much about computers at all but have been researching the past day and think I may have found the best bang for my buck.

It’s a 2011 15″ Macbook Pro
Specs;
“Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.6
15.4” widescreen Matte HD LED display
Intel Core I7-2760QM 2.50Ghz with Turbo Max. 3.50Ghz
16GB DDR3L SDRAM
1TB Solid State Hybrid Drive
AMD Radeon HD 6770M 1GB GDDR5 Memory and integrated Intel HD Graphics 3000
Model: A1286, MD322LL/A”

For $830, it comes with FCPX & a few other programs, as well as a 1-Year warranty through SquareTrade.

My concerns are that;
It’s a 2011 model
It doesn’t have USB3 (but do I need it for what I’m doing?)
It has Intel i7 but only 2nd gen, does that make a difference for video editing?

Otherwise, from what I’ve gathered on Google, it’s quite up to date on most specs & sounds like it’s a good video editing laptop. Just wanted to consult with people more experienced than myself before spending the money.

nobspls

Reputable
Mar 14, 2018
Apple stuff is overpriced and ripping you off.

Try something like this:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-yoga-730-2-in-1-13-3-touch-screen-laptop-intel-core-i5-8gb-memory-256gb-solid-state-drive-platinum/6201041.p?skuId=6201041

less than 3 pounds, 2-in-1 with touch screen, USB 3, Thunderbolt3, and the coffeelak is just so much better. See:

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-2760QM-vs-Intel-Core-i5-8250U/m949vsm338266

New and all over less than $750.

In short new, lighter, thinner, faster, and cheaper and so you do not get ripped off.

Sep 7, 2018
As stated in the post, I plan to continue working with Final Cut Pro, therefore I AM looking for a Mac. I am well aware of their excess cost.

Just want to know if the specific Mac I am looking at is a good choice for what I will be using it for, or if there is a better MacBook in the same price range.

Also, I can get most Mac softwares other than FCP for free through my family. Another key part of me choosing to go with Mac.

Sep 7, 2018
Also from what I can tell, the Mac I am looking at has far more significant specs than the computer you have linked.. 1TB instead of 256GB memory, 16gb instead of 8gb Ram, Intel i7 instead of i5 processor, etc.

THAT SAID, I'm only assuming that means the Mac is a better choice for video editing because of said specs. That's why I've come to this forum though, please tell me otherwise if I am wrong. I do not know much about computers, just trying to make sense of it all.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
To use Final Cut, you must use a Mac. $1000 for a 7 y/o rig is a bit much, I would certainly not recommend spending that on a system of that age.

Are you a student, if so, you can get fairly good discounts from Apple. Same for military.

Sep 7, 2018
The Macbook itself with Final Cut 10($299) already installed is $750, & the warranty is $100. Grand total of $850 for the MacBook, FCPX, and a 1year warranty against defects.

The age of the model concerns me (though it's on excellent condition,) but I'm just curious what makes it unreliable? It sounds as if this one has been refurbished and upgraded to modern specs (and higher specs than most newer computers in the same price range,) so in theory, it should perform similar to a slightly newer model, correct?
If not please let me know.

Do specs not make as much of a difference in performance as I'm assuming they do? Is age a more important factor?

Serious questions, hope I dont sound dumb.. lol

Also, no i am not a student. Just currently unemployed due to an injury and trying to start up a small business on my little budget. I film lots of videos for my website so having a MacBook that can handle video editing in FCPX rather well (or as well as I can afford) is extremely important.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
You sound convinced. It could last a day or a year. I would not spend my 1000 on a seven year old laptop. Even a Mac.

By the way, that is not modern tech. Rather, it is a fairly maxed out old Mac. It should be fine for your stated purposes. A new Mac would out perform by leaps and bounds.

Go for it. Good luck.

Sep 7, 2018
Not convinced, rather unsure actually lol. Doesn't help that I only know what I've learned from Google searches.

Thanks for the info about the model I'm looking at! If it will do what I need it to, I suppose I'll go for it since I cant afford a new Mac. The warranty is reassuring too, I will start saving up for a newer model & upgrade once the warranty is up!