Question Machine check exception (Linux) in new Gigabyte z590 Master and Intel 10700k

Jun 13, 2021
Hello,
Windows works perfectly, but when I boot into a linux usb (Ubuntu 20.04, Ubuntu 21.04, Fedora 21, Kali, etc.), when the system is booting appears a text that says (it stills lets me continue and works well):
[ 0.067485] mce: [Hardware Error]: CPU 0: Machine Check: 0 Bank 6: ee2000000040110a
[ 0.067487] mce: [Hardware Error]: TSC 0 ADDR fef1e680 MISC 43880004086
[ 0.067490] mce: [Hardware Error]: Processor 0:a0655 TIME 1622365765 SOCKET 0 APIC 0 microcode e2

I can install Ubuntu and works apparently well, and the error doesn't pop up on the booting screen (after installed) but it's still there in the /var/log/syslog.

I want to note that the error is always only on boot and at the exact same address TSC 0 ADDR fef1e680 MISC 43880004086, don't know what this address belongs to, the fact that is always the same tells you something?
I have read on google 2 posts of people complaining about a machine check on boot at this exact address TSC 0 ADDR fef1e680, with new hardware but not the same as mine.

Hardware is:
Mobo Gigabyte z590 master, CPU Intel 10700k, RAM 32 GB Kingston Hyperx Fury, GPU rtx 3070, PSU Asus Rog 850 Watt platinum, (I already tried swapping the sticks of ram). I also tried removing the m.2 drives, tried removing the dedicated gpu, also tried different bios (including last ofc), same errors always.

But I'm worried about the possibility of a hardware issue, I use this system to handle critical data so I want to be sure if it's just some incompatibility issue with Linux because the motherboard is new or is something more serious.

I have read online that some people have a very similar error only at boot (with mobos z590 and z490), if you are one of them please post here your exact error.

Thanks.

kanewolf

Titan
Hello,
Windows works perfectly, but when I boot into a linux usb (Ubuntu 20.04, Ubuntu 21.04, Fedora 21, Kali, etc.), when the system is booting appears a text that says (it stills lets me continue and works well):
[ 0.067485] mce: [Hardware Error]: CPU 0: Machine Check: 0 Bank 6: ee2000000040110a
[ 0.067490] mce: [Hardware Error]: Processor 0:a0655 TIME 1622365765 SOCKET 0 APIC 0 microcode e2

I can install Ubuntu and works apparently well, and the error doesn't pop up on the booting screen (after installed) but it's still there in the /var/log/syslog.

I want to note that the error is always only on boot and at the exact same address TSC 0 ADDR fef1e680 MISC 43880004086, don't know what this address belongs to, the fact that is always the same tells you something?
I have read on google 2 posts of people complaining about a machine check on boot at this exact address TSC 0 ADDR fef1e680, with new hardware but not the same as mine.

Hardware is:
Mobo Gigabyte z590 master, CPU Intel 10700k, RAM 32 GB Kingston Hyperx Fury, GPU rtx 3070, PSU Asus Rog 850 Watt platinum, (I already tried swapping the sticks of ram). I also tried removing the m.2 drives, tried removing the dedicated gpu, also tried different bios (including last ofc), same errors always.

But I'm worried about the possibility of a hardware issue, I use this system to handle critical data so I want to be sure if it's just some incompatibility issue with Linux because the motherboard is new or is something more serious.

I have read online that some people have a very similar error only at boot (with mobos z590 and z490), if you are one of them please post here your exact error.

Thanks.
My first suspect is the WIFI 6E adapter, and then the 10GE wired adapter. Those are both leading edge devices. Especially the WIFI6E. Getting a Linux kernel that has driver support for them may be difficult. That is one negative about being leading edge. Not every OS supports your device.

Jun 13, 2021
Hi, thx for your reply,
after booting in the installed ubuntu 21.04 the wired network works well and wifi seems to work also (it detects routers but I didn't need to connect to one), what doesn't work is the bluetooth.
The error persists in the /var/log/syslog even after booting in the installed Ubuntu 21.04 (with all updated applied) (it appears early at boot).
I would like to know whats your reasoning behind your conclusion, I'm talking about specifically the machine check, what makes you think is related to that hardware specifically, is there something with that address related?
Is it common for false machine check exceptions ?

kanewolf

Titan
Hi, thx for your reply,
after booting in the installed ubuntu 21.04 the wired network works well and wifi seems to work also (it detects routers but I didn't need to connect to one), what doesn't work is the bluetooth.
The error persists in the /var/log/syslog even after booting in the installed Ubuntu 21.04 (with all updated applied) (it appears early at boot).
I would like to know whats your reasoning behind your conclusion, I'm talking about specifically the machine check, what makes you think is related to that hardware specifically, is there something with that address related?
Is it common for false machine check exceptions ?
My reasoning is that I have had problems with Linux and new hardware. Then you look for the most leading edge part of that hardware. WIFI6E spec is barely dry. Multigig ethernet adapters are uncommon. Those two things stick out as being something that could be unsupported or only marginally supported. I could be completely mistaken. But if I am building a box for a Linux install I don't pick the most leading edge. It is most likely to have problems.
Even the BIOS on the motherboard could be the problem.

Aug 9, 2021
Hello,

Hardware is:

Thanks.
I have the same issue, new pc with Pentium Gold 10th and Gigabyte H510m, same exact screen error trying to install any Linux distro, try more than 15 different ones, after the error screens the no video on the monitor I'll just have to restart, only one distro works Pop Os 20.04 Lts, try the cosmic version and don't work either. The thing is... Windows 10 works like a charm, it's frustrating.

Jun 13, 2021
Hello, the no display problem happens to me when secure boot is disabled, you have to enable it and boot in UEFI mode, in new intel chipsets integrated gpu only works in UEFI as I understand it, tell me if it solves ur problem. The machine check exception is no related to your video problem, and is a false positive, in my case Ubuntu works perfectly.