Question machine randomly going into shutdown,

Mike2009

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
As far as i know this is not hardware related so trying here first ,,,, My pc (a older dell optiplex 990 i5 2400, 16gm ddr31333mhz, GTX1060 3gb seems to have developed a bug where I can be doing anything whether game or just looking at youtube etc ,, the shutdown screen pops up forces programs to close then ,,, shutdowns,, I can stop it if Im quick enough then it wont do it again for a while or it will do it right after , it began a few days ago ,, and the only suspect i can find after doing numerous virus and malware scans finding nothing, was a mmc.exe appcrash that seems to be with each event ,,di d a SFC scan it did find some issues but even after fixing them ,, it still persists to do the same thing . i checked my remote access stuff in case and thats fine, I have not done a in place thing yet because Im hesitant about doing that until I eliminate all other options

Mike2009

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
it seems the issue is more complicated , I shut my pc down before bed and its turned itself on while i was asleep I have checked that power on lan is disabled , scheduled poweron task was disabled as well so this may be beyond a windows issue but system restore seemed to have fixed it for a day or two but it has returned getting random event 1074 shutdowns ive looked for associated applications timing with this event and saw nothing unusual. excluding the 1074 event itself.

Mike2009

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
update could be a faulty power button . changed the what power buttons do to sleep and it wnt to sleep randomly still testing but could be the power button if so i will post a thread move to where applicable request and mark it solved .

Mike2009

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
its definitely not a windows issue ,, I put in a new power supply today and it was still doin the same thing so far disconnecting my power switch from the motherboard seems to work i have a new switch coming in so i think this thread can be closed and moved now as its not a windows issue.